cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where Are The Blog Article Writers For Hire?

Eric Jason S Member Since: Jul 7, 2015
11 of 28

Hi Jean,

I'm a blog writer who is experiencing the other side: People are interested in my services, but I can't find them.

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Eric Silverman

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
12 of 28

Jean, all your points are valid of course - no one's actually disagreeing with you! People are just weighing in with additional opinions, which is what you should expect in a forum (and they're actually helping you by keeping your thread on top).

Yes, Upwork is not working the way it's supposed to (understatement) and yes, you have every right to complain in the forums (I would too), but there's no need to get aggressive with people who experience just as much frustration with this site.

"The next time I need a Technology Consultant you can guess where I will NOT be looking." - Rude much?

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
13 of 28

How is it rude to say I will not be looking on Upwork? If that is insulting to the company then that's fine with me.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
14 of 28

Jean I have a question. If you post a job, do you only see the people that Upwork feeds you, or can you turn them off and look at others who have actually applied without Upwork's interference?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
15 of 28

I have been VERY PLEASED with the results when I have hired graphic artists, web designers, technical networking gurus, and Microsoft Access database experts on Upwork.

On three occasions, I have posted jobs for writers, always at rates well above typical market rates.

Twice I was unable to hire anybody because nobody remotely qualified applied. One time out of three, I did get a pretty good contractor when I posted a job for a writer. But I remember that most of the candidates for that job posting were just awful.

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
16 of 28

@Nichola L wrote:

Jean I have a question. If you post a job, do you only see the people that Upwork feeds you, or can you turn them off and look at others who have actually applied without Upwork's interference?

First off they recommend 10 people all of which were useless. Then I'm stuck searching but the results are miserable so you have to spend a lot of time searching and digging to find qualified ones in that list. It's a nightmare. 

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
17 of 28

I just want to be really clear about this. You post a job, and lets say you get 30 replies, and  Upwork suggests 10.

Do you, as a client, only see those ten 'recommended'? Do you not see the other 30 who have spent collectively, 60 connects in applying for your job?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
18 of 28

Hi Nichola,

The client sees recommended freelancers right after the job is posted and can invite them to apply. Once freelancers apply for the job, the client is notified and is able to review the list of applicants by clicking on the job posting.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Corinne L Member Since: Jun 3, 2013
BEST ANSWER
19 of 28

Well, I think the "recommended freelancers" algorithm doesn't work as it should, at least for me. When I'm applying for French translation jobs, I always see that the client invited 10 recommended freelancers and sometimes not a single one of them is a French translator. Of course sometimes there are also French translators invited, but there's never me among themSmiley Wink

On the other hand, I do get invites, but NEVER for French translation. It can be for Dutch, Japanese, Finnish etc... Or for English writing tasks. But English to French translation = NEVER. Obviously the algorithm thinks that "translator" is THE important word and "French" is just some kind of adjective like great or experienced that must not be taken into account! And as I'm not to be found in the first pages of the search for translators (I think I'm on page 10 at best), it's obvious clients will not find me. That's why I will never get invited for the kind of job I'm here to do.

I don't mean I'm not getting work or I'm never being hired. Sometimes I'm getting hired even if the client invited 10 other freelancers. But I have to do everything by myself and spend my connects and I'm wondering what's the point of being top rated, by the way! 

Community Guru
Corinne L Member Since: Jun 3, 2013
20 of 28

Well, in fact I got 1 English-French invite yesterday! (I wanted to edit my post but couldn't find how to)

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS