cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where Have the Freelancers Gone?

Brandon E Member Since: Jun 8, 2016
1 of 12

When we previously posted a project on the Elance platform, we routinely received an adequate number of freelancer applications.  Now that we are on Upwork, we receive 1/10th the number of applicants despite us spending the additional time and effort inviting freelancers.

Upwork, please stop treating us like children, filtering our freelancers, and charging freelancers for connects.  Let the client decide on who to use from the largest pool possible.  Can anyone explain why this is happening?

Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
2 of 12

There are literally millions of freelancers here.  

Is your job description vague?  Is your pay level extremely low?  Is your payment method verified and is your history good?  These are the main reasons I can think of that you may have low turnout for your jobs.  Quality freelancers tend to look at those things before they'll commit to submitting a proposal.

Brandon E Member Since: Jun 8, 2016
3 of 12

Is your job description vague?  

No, all of our project descriptions are extremely detailed.

Is your pay level extremely low?

No, we routinely hire on an hourly basis looking for experienced freelancers

Is your payment method verified and is your history good?  

Yes, we have our payment method verified and our history is stellar with nearly a cumulative 5-star rating

These are the main reasons I can think of that you may have low turnout for your jobs.  Quality freelancers tend to look at those things before they'll commit to submitting a proposal.

We have a 60% hire rate because we screen freelancers.  I doubt this an issue to freelancers but it certainly doesn't help when UpWork charges for connects.  

Community Guru
4 of 12

A 60% hire rate isn't bad.  I wouldn't be put off by that.

The thing about the connects is that a lot of people don't buy them.  I never have, and I've never even come close to using the ones I get for free.  So, I'm not sure that's the issue.

Are you not getting a good cross section of applicants?  What I mean is, even though you're not getting as many as you used to, are you getting good quality?  Is there a reason why you feel you need so many?  Not being snarky, I'm genuinely curious.

Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
5 of 12

Does your profile page show the feedback given to freelancers? I've noticed that some clients from Elance only have freelancer names and no sign of feedback. I've declined a few invites from these clients because their profile pages told me zero about them as far as feedback is concerned.

Community Guru
6 of 12

That's a REALLY good point Olga.  I don't typically submit proposals to clients who have little to no history of feedback.

@Olga Q wrote:

Does your profile page show the feedback given to freelancers? I've noticed that some clients from Elance only have freelancer names and no sign of feedback. I've declined a few invites from these clients because their profile pages told me zero about them as far as feedback is concerned.

Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
7 of 12

Christy, I NEVER submit proposals nor accept invites from these Elance clients. I think this issue is really hurting their ability to hire more experienced freelancers.

Community Guru
8 of 12

So, if they have feedback to freelancers on Elance it doesn't transition over to Upwork?  Yeah, that's a problem.  Probably THE problem, with regard to the OP.  Feedback is so important here, for both the client and the contractor.

Community Leader
Lindsey G Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
9 of 12

I'm pretty sure Elance charged for connects, too, so...

Oh yeah, if you're not leaving feedback, or if your elance feedback didn't transfer, that is probably why. I steer all the way away from clients who have a lot of work history but no feedback given or received. That's kind of weird

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
10 of 12

@ OP,

E. feedback did transfer for providers. That said, U. has any and all methods for confirming a buyer is legit hidden and this does put off potential bidders.  Inlike with E, there is no way to click on a buyer's name and see any history.  To even have a clue the provider must first open the job and then click away.

As an ex E provider this has a hugely negative impact.  I can't speak for o/D people and/or those new to what is now U.

I understand why U made this decision; it was first and foremost to protect the buyer from people trying to circumvent the system. Concurrently I think it has also been a deterrent as your original post indicated.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS