cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where can I file a complaint about a dispute?

Claudia B Member Since: Sep 22, 2017
1 of 8

Where can I file a complaint about a dispute? Disputes are closed, but I totally disagree!

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 8

You can't. Well, you can complain here by all means, but that's about it.

if it was hourly, the dispute will have been decided on thenfreelancer's work diary.

If that is the case, any manual time, screenshot with low activity, missing or unspecific work memos, non work related screenshots are awarded to the client. 

If it was fixed price, you will have had the opportunity to go to arbitration.

What actually happened?

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
3 of 8

Hi Claudia,

I checked and it looks like you're referring to a dispute which was resolved by our team yesterday. Please refer to the dispute ticket and note that Escrow funds awarded to you will be refunded back to your account within five working days. Please make sure to follow up on your contract and leave a professional and honest feedback for your freelancer.

Let me know if you were referring to a different contract or would like to share any other information.

4 of 8

According to this message the freelancer will receive the money and not me: 
Upwork has reviewed this request and will be issuing a refund of Escrow ($50.00) to the client as well as a courtesy credit for the escrow amount to the freelancer, in order to end the job and part ways.  The courtesy credit will be applied to the freelancerâs account within 5 business days. The contract and dispute are closed.

-------------------my complaint---------------------

I don't understand why I have to pay [name]. She didn't answer my messages for three days after answering me incorrectly. I had a deadline and she didn't care at all. I hope you can read all the messages so you can see what I am talking about. It's totally unfair! Now I don't have anything, no logo, and you are telling me that she will receive the money?!? If you see the logo you can see that the quality wasn't good enough. She didn't tell about how many times the logo could be changed and I didn't expect such an unprofessional way of responding. I am really disappointed with your desicion and I want you to look further into this case because this decision is totally unfair.

Community Guru
5 of 8

Read it again.

it says you get the funds ($ 50) back. 

6 of 8

But I'm not a freelancer. I am the client.

Community Guru
7 of 8

@Claudia B wrote:

But I'm not a freelancer. I am the client.

Yes. Read carefully:

" Upwork has reviewed this request and will be issuing a refund of Escrow ($50.00) to the client"

Vladimir confirmed that you get the funds back within 5 days.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 8

re: "Where can I file a complaint about a dispute? Disputes are closed, but I totally disagree!"

Claudia:

Good news: You are already in the right place.

The Community Forum is THE place to post your complaints about any dispute.

We can help to answer questions about your experience, provide context, and offer advice.

I'm glad that things worked out for you in this particular situation.

But as a client, you should know that even though filing a dispute is sometimes beneficial to freelancers, it is an almost entirely useless practice for clients. In my opinion, successful and effective clients never use the dispute process. The very concept of using disputes is counter-productive to clients.

How much is your time and energy worth? Was filing this dispute worth the $50 you got back? You would need to be the one to make that decision. For many people, the answer would be "no."

The right course is to proactively manage contracts and freelancers. Upwork client have almost unlimited power when it comes to contracts. Clients can pause or close contracts at virtually any time, or any reason. Clients do not need to provide reasons for doing so or explain themselves to anyone. Clients are able to closely monitor the work done by freelancers, seeing screenshots (with hourly contracts) in near real time.

One of the most powerful aspects of being a client on Upwork is the ability to never hire a particular freelancer again if the freelancer's work disappoints you.

Clients run into problems when they fail to realize the great amount of power they have and fail to use that power.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS