Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where did the freelancers go?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
21 of 31

Darren F wrote:
I am a employer  (The word is CLIENT. You are not an "employer!") and posted last week for a job with 3 more coming up in the next 2 weeks.. I put a job up and it was an open ended price as I had no idea what it would cost to complete.. I got 5 responses in a 6 day period. Usually I have a bigger choice with prospective applicants.. don't get me wrong.. the guy I am using is doing a great job so far.. but the pricing is way out of wack. I couldn't ask for anymore then 3 clients and I only received 2 extra from all of the freelancers on up work.. that is pretty pathetic. I now know why.. they are all leaving due to the costs..

No, they are bidding on the job posts with a descriptive, meaningful, friendly description from clients with a decent budget, a high hire rate, a great history of rates paid and feedback given and received.

Spending money on poorly paid projects from clients with a history of paying peanuts is no longer worth it.

Highlighted
Darren F Member Since: May 25, 2016
22 of 31
No. I post the jobs.. I maybe your client.. you are not my client. I employ people to carry out work.
The jobs I post are always detailed and have spent 5000 to have work carried out to 200 per month for ongoing work.
I rarely let people work for me that are to cheap. I look for skills and if they can hold a conversation in English..
So I I think you a re wrong in putting me in a category of not being disruptive in the jobs I post
Highlighted
Darren F Member Since: May 25, 2016
23 of 31
I strongly disagree .. and by the look of it . It seems a lot of replies are almost all the same so I think the osts are filtered with only up work admin writing simular things.. all good .. I think this will be my last job on up work.. or I'll use people I have used before ..this will affect any other freelancers that want to submit for the jobs..I have worked out over the years I have so an in excess of 40k on up work. My gain your loss..
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
24 of 31

Darren F wrote:
I strongly disagree .. and by the look of it . It seems a lot of replies are almost all the same so I think the osts are filtered with only up work admin writing simular things.. all good .. I think this will be my last job on up work.. or I'll use people I have used before ..this will affect any other freelancers that want to submit for the jobs..I have worked out over the years I have so an in excess of 40k on up work. My gain your loss..

Yes, sure, anyone who disagrees with you is clearly fake. I've been using Upwork since 2012 and have spent over $300,000 on the platform but any proof I offer you're not going to believe anyway....

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
25 of 31

Darren F wrote:
 why not do 10% freelancer 5 percent transaction fee added to job supplier.. No other charges.. work on the number of jobs for revenue not what is happening at the moment..

Freelancer fees used to be 10% across the board and Upwork was bleeding money. Do you have any idea how many $25 jobs are posted? Even $10 jobs? 

If the freelancer or client takes up 10 minutes of staff time in the conduct of a $10 job at 10%, Upwork gets $1 and expends about $5 in resources. 

I think the 20% fee on the tiny one-off jobs was intended to avoid having to get rid of those jobs altogether. I wonder, though, if Upwork is second-guessing that decision, since it's hard to believe there's any profit to be had in $20 jobs even at 20%.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
26 of 31

A couple of weeks I posted 3 jobs for translators for relatively obscure languages, and 2 of them had 20+ proposals within 2 days. The other one (for a *very* obscure language) only got around 10 proposals, but I was expecting to struggle with that one, and upgraded it to a featured job so that I could invite more freelancers.

In my experience from posting many, many jobs over the last few years, the number of proposals I receive for each job post has definitely gone down, but that's because all the junk/spam/obviously unqualified rubbish proposals have dropped off. The quality of the proposals I'm receiving is very good, and it's getting harder to choose a freelancer from the many who apply.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
27 of 31

Hi All,

A few posts have been removed from this thread as they were off topic. Please, refer to Community Guidelines for more information.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Bill H Member Since: Aug 18, 2017
28 of 31

Making money from an online freelance job opportunity platform is a problem that may well never be solved. Part of the problem is that it is looked upon as a technology issue, when that's not the case. The most successful platform of which I'm aware was ProSavvy, which was bought out by ework and went under when its parent went bankrupt. At every step there was human intervention.

From 1950 to 2000, the first half century of the commercial jet age, only one major airline made a profit: Southwest. Long after every other airline had gone to interactive voice technology, Southwest still used live humans to answer the phone. The tech-savvy airline executives looked at Southwest with disdain, at least until it was still flying after they had crashed

Two groups have solved the problem, but existing platform managers aren't interested. Replacing humans with automation has worked in many cases, but all the low-hanging fruit is gone. AI might make it work better at some point, but it won't work for the highest-value work. The two groups are high-value management consulting firms, and a handful of veterans of those companies who have become talent acquisition freelancers. I was one of those veterans and offered elance the opportunity to enter the market. I was told they knew what they were doing, and I was just an outsider with no knowledge or experience.

Trying to solve a problem created by a mindset by using the same mindset isn't going to work.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Miriam H Member Since: May 16, 2017
29 of 31
Bill, you may find Digital Darwinism by Tom Goodwin a good read. Its self published but you can his info on Linkedin.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
30 of 31

Best line of the week:

Trying to solve a problem created by a mindset by using the same mindset isn't going to work.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS