🐈
» Forums » Clients » Where to find Upwork proof of insurance and w...
Page options
80623bfe
Community Member

Where to find Upwork proof of insurance and w-9

My company requires a W-9 and proof of insurance to work with Upwork. Can I get some assistance on where to find or have those documents sent to me? Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

What type of work does your company want to hire freelancers to do?

a_lipsey
Community Member

Candice K wrote:

My company requires a W-9 and proof of insurance to work with Upwork. Can I get some assistance on where to find or have those documents sent to me? Thanks in advance!

Unless you are hiring temps through Upwork payroll, if you are hiring freelancers then you are not working with Upwork. Upwork is simply a platform to find qualified independent freelancers/consultants to work with. Essentially it's like you're asking Indeed for their W-9 and proof of insurance.  Upwork is not an employer but a platform for posting jobs and finding freelancers, and a payment processing platform. Any contract you have with a freelancer, Upwork is not a party to. 

Excellent advice from Amanda.

Candice:
I don't doubt that somebody somewhere in your company said something about requiring insurance.

But you may need to modify expectations after gaining a greater understanding of how Upwork operates.

You may need to think of Upwork as more of a "business to business service provider" rather than traditional emmployment.

Here are some questions that may help you:
If your company uses Zoom to meet remotely, do you require proof of insurance from Zoom?

If your company has an in-person meeting in a hotel meeting room, and you order in catered food from Olive Garden, do you require proof of insurance from them?

If you don't require proof of insurance from Zoom, Olive Garden, FedEx Kinkos, and your Internet service provider, then you probably do not need proof of insurance from Upwork.

Keep in mind that as a client, you are competing with other clients for the best freelancers. If you want to hire top freelancers - such as a blog writer for your website - and you are the only potential client asking them for proof of insurance, then they are probably not going to work with you.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths