cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to find freelancer address/VAT numbers

Highlighted
Janet A Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
1 of 8

Our accountant would like the VAT number and addresses of the freelancers that are working on our projects.  Can you please advise where I can find this information.  Some documents say it is in the invoice but I cannot find the invoice in reports.   I would like to avoid asking each freelancer for this information, and if I do, the information that upwork has on file has to match what the freelancer reports for taxation.  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stefan C Member Since: Nov 1, 2011
2 of 8

If there is no VAT number on your invoice, it’s most likely because your freelancer does not have a VAT number - you should ask your freelancer if she/he has a VIES/VAT number.

If your freelancer does not have a VAT number, you’ll probably need to report those invoices “some other” way to the tax authorities, and pay the VAT/whatever “import tax” yourself.

Even if your freelancer has a valid VIES/VAT number, the VAT on your invoices will still be “reverse charged” (as far as I’m aware), meaning you’ll need to report those invoices “some other” way to the tax authorities, and pay the VAT yourself.

—-

As far as the freelancer address goes - if your freelancer's address isn’t showing up on your invoices, you could ask the freelancer to add an “invoice address” by going to settings -> contact info. The invoices should automatically update.

Highlighted
3 of 8

I am a client.  Where can I see the VAT number for my freelancers.  There is no view invoices option for clients that I can see.    

I am also a freelancer for this client, and I do have a VAT number so at least for me, I know it exists.  

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 8

Hi Janet,

Please go to Reports > Transaction History and you will be able to downloaded invoices for payments you issues to your freelancer.

Highlighted
Community Guru
5 of 8

@Janet A wrote:

I am a client.  Where can I see the VAT number for my freelancers.  There is no view invoices option for clients that I can see.    

I am also a freelancer for this client, and I do have a VAT number so at least for me, I know it exists.  

I’m not sure I understand. Are you saying a client gave you access to their account, and you’re also under an Upwork contract with that client?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ines H Member Since: Feb 15, 2017
6 of 8

@Stefan C wrote:

@Janet A wrote:

I’m not sure I understand. Are you saying a client gave you access to their account, and you’re also under an Upwork contract with that client?

It's not unusual, clients can add freelancers to their "team" so they can do the hiring or contract management on behalf of clients. (If that's what's happening here)

Highlighted
Community Guru
7 of 8

@Ines-  I’m perfectly aware, and I’m not insinuating anything. I’m just looking to get a better picture so I can give moar appropriate advice (ofc, if I can).

Highlighted
8 of 8

I have given the information to the client where to find the billing info.   I am guessing that I do not have authority to see this information for this client.  Thanks very much.  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS