Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why My account will be Suspended??

Highlighted
Community Guru
Muhammad Saif U Member Since: Oct 18, 2015
1 of 8

I got an email that my card will expire on July 24 and if i donot add new card my account will be suspended. WHY?

1. I have some balance already available on my client account on upwork

2. I donot have any active contracts with any freelancers right now

3. There are no outstanding invoices which i have to pay

So, why my account will be suspended?

PS: I am having issues with bank to get new card in timely manner.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 8

Hi Muhammad Saif,

I see you're already communicating with our Customer Support team regarding the notification you received. Please provide the information our team requested in order to assist you further with your query.

Community Guru
Muhammad Saif U Member Since: Oct 18, 2015
3 of 8

I am not satisfied with the way they are dealing. I already told them what was in the email, and asking for screenshot for the email is not making sense. 

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
BEST ANSWER
4 of 8

Hi Muhammad,

I'm sorry you're not satisfied with the agent's request, but I can assure you they were following standard procedure. We do require a screenshot of the email you have received in order to document it on the ticket, confirm the type of the notification, properly address or escalate the ticket to the appropriate team, among other reasons. Please consider following up on our agent's request and updating your ticket.

Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
5 of 8

If you really have the email correspondence, then why not comply with support and screenshot it?

Something weird going on when such a simple request is met with so much resistance. 

Cedric B Member Since: Jul 18, 2016
6 of 8

@Mariska P : This is a bit off-topic (my apologies to the OP) but I would like to comment on the "email resistance" part because I recently had the same kind of request from support (it was about the $200 welcome gift) and had the same reaction.

I agree it is a simple request but I actually see several reasons to resist it if you are cautious about your online security because it means leaking informations about one service (your email) to peoples of another unrelated service (Upwork).

What you reveal includes (among other details) :

- whether you use a webmail or a dedicated software

- if you do not go fullscreen, then you also reveal your desktop taskbar content and thus your currently running softwares

- if you use different alias email addresses to prevent spam, the screenshot may reveal your main email address

Peoples working at Upwork's support should be considered trustworthy so this is probably safe, but I usually prefer to not make any exception to my "reveal only what is needed" mindset.

On top of that, I take a screenshot request as a proof request (otherwise a complete copy-paste would be enough if it was just for information) but there are so many ways of faking it in little time (image editing, crafting an email that looks like coming from Upwork when displayed on screen, ...) that it seems absurd.

Just felt like adding my 2 cents   Smiley Happy

Mark W Member Since: May 25, 2016
7 of 8

@Cedric B wrote:

- if you do not go fullscreen, then you also reveal your desktop taskbar content and thus your currently running softwares

A little tongue in cheek, but unless your desktop wallpaper is a picture of your social security card (or whatever your local equivalent is), what is anyone going to do with that information?

It's a support channel, not Reddit.

Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
8 of 8

@Cedric B wrote:

@Mariska P : This is a bit off-topic (my apologies to the OP) but I would like to comment on the "email resistance" part because I recently had the same kind of request from support (it was about the $200 welcome gift) and had the same reaction.

I agree it is a simple request but I actually see several reasons to resist it if you are cautious about your online security because it means leaking informations about one service (your email) to peoples of another unrelated service (Upwork).

What you reveal includes (among other details) :

- whether you use a webmail or a dedicated software

- if you use different alias email addresses to prevent spam, the screenshot may reveal your main email address

Peoples working at Upwork's support should be considered trustworthy so this is probably safe, but I usually prefer to not make any exception to my "reveal only what is needed" mindset.

On top of that, I take a screenshot request as a proof request (otherwise a complete copy-paste would be enough if it was just for information) but there are so many ways of faking it in little time (image editing, crafting an email that looks like coming from Upwork when displayed on screen, ...) that it seems absurd.

Just felt like adding my 2 cents   Smiley Happy

of course be worried about your security, but it takes nothing to take the shot, put it in paint (this is what i do but i don't know any other way) and cross out any info you don't want upwork to see on it. Not everyone knows how to fudge documents anyway. 

Just think of how much time it took to resist. That adds more time to the resolution process. If no one has anything to hide, then it should be easy peasy.  Smiley Happy 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS