Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I forced to give feedback?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
31 of 40

Deborah W wrote:

This is a terrible system and  reason to stop using Upwork.  If I don't feel I can assess someone's skills I should not be forced to choose between  hruting them and providing bad information to future employers.

Then don't close the contract. Let the freelancer do it, then you don't have to leave feedback = Problem solved.

Community Leader
Michelle S Member Since: Jun 23, 2017
32 of 40

Hi Yaron -

Another reason to go ahead and give feedback is that freelancers also gets to give feedback.  While they can't see your feedback until they give theirs, they do still get to rate you, test job or not.  Freelancers will not consider your job "only a test," and will evaluate it for what it was.

On top of that, when freelancers look at job posts, they can see all of the feedback and ratings that a client gives other freelancers.  If a client has a history of not leaving feedback or giving very poor feedback in general, you may start to have trouble finding good freelancers to bid on your projects. 

I always look that the client's feedback from freelancers and the feedback that the client gives freelancers.  I look to see if a client is being unreasonable or too picky.  I look to see of the client has been respectful of the freelancer.  Like it or not, this is how the system works right now.  If for only your personal and ongoing benefit, you should leave the freelancer feedback.  And if you think the freelancer completed the job successfully, with the skills you hired him for, communicated with you in effeciently and in the way you preferred (that might be no communication), the the freelancer deserves 5 stars in my opinion. 

Michelle

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
33 of 40

Upwork clients should understand that they CAN CLOSE A JOB WITHOUT LEAVING FEEDBACK.

If a client does not have enough information about a freelancer to make a judgement, or if the client simply does not want to leave feedback for any reason, then they do NOT need to leave feedback.

Click 5 for the category star ratings, without thinking about these at all.

And leave the freeform text field BLANK.

This is the SAME THING as not leaving feedback.

I have personally done this as a client.

If you do this, and don't think about it, then it is equivalent to not leaving feedback. There is nothing wrong with doing this, and there is no reason to feel bad or guilty about this.

Yaron E Member Since: Jan 1, 2015
34 of 40

While this is an old post, Interesting that it got a revised interest. I made this post a few years ago, since then I can tell you that I'v talked to a lot of employers that work with Upwork and we all seem to arrive at the same conclusion, that is inevitable when a mandatory system is present. 

I've wrote this post in the past to describe the issue, and the inevitability of forced statistics.

and while I do respect the discussion among freelancers, it's not really the right level of discussion, the discussion about the reliability of forced statistics should be in a way higher levels in the latter, maybe an open-minded person that leads the research department in the company.

Within the freelancer level of discussion there could be 
1. Restrained anger (You also work here, so can't really have a candid discussion)

2. Descriptions of ways to bypass

3. Agreement and acceptance of the system as it is

It is nice, but it is what it is, the people that should have this discussion and have the ability to do anything about it are not a part of it.

Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
35 of 40

"--while I do respect the discussion among freelancers, it's not really the right level of discussion, the discussion about the reliability of forced statistics should be in a way higher levels in the latter, maybe an open-minded person that leads the research department in the company."

Please be mindful that freelancers do not work for UpWork. We are here as clients, same as you - we buy UpWork's services of payment protection, easy invoicing and networking opportunities in exchange for a percentage of what we invoice our clients. We are business owners, and as sole traders, we are the leads research department of our companies. What is but a mild annoyance to you is an actual marketing nightmare for us. 

Imagine your company had a Success Score on its frontpage. Now imagine if a percentage of every customer you've had that did not leave a review on Google, SiteJabber or Yelp! would cause that number to go down. That is what freelancers deal with on UpWork.

So while I agree that the people that have the ability to do something about this are not (at least visibly) part of the discussion, it is incredibly inaccurate to say that freelancers should not have this discussion or are not on the right 'level' to have it. This is us giving customer feedback to UpWork, fervently hoping that at some point they'll heed it. 

Community Guru
36 of 40

Hanna: I agree with the points you made in your post.

But one recomendation about terminology...

re: "Please be mindful that freelancers do not work for UpWork. We are here as clients, same as you"

If a person hires freelancers on Upwork and pays them, then she is a client. Her credit card or PayPal account are charged and Upwork collects a fee.

If a person works for others through Upwork, she is a freelancer.

Some people are both.

Using Upwork's services does not make a person a "client."

If a freelancer really wants to, they may think of themselves as an Upwork "customer" or Upwork "user."

But it is not helpful to equate "client" and "freelancer" in a way that suggests they are the same thing.

Community Guru
37 of 40

Both freelancers and clients are UpWork's clients, customers, service users, subscribers, whatever word you want to use. When it comes to the relationship with UpWork, 'clients' - as you defined them - are in no way more important, primary, or independent in relation to UpWork than 'freelancers'. You insisting on a separation of terminology based on whose card gets charged suggests you did not understand my main point at all, so I am not sure what you are actually agreeing with. 

Community Guru
38 of 40

Just as a matter of clarification:

Clients and freelancers are both important to Upwork.

But each individual client is much more important to Upwork than an individual freelancer.

Each client is a valuable source of revenue for Upwork, and Upwork actively tries to gain new clients and retain existing clients.

Upwork has multiple programs designed to limit the numbers of freelancers, cull and eliminate non-performing existing freelancers, and prevent many people who would like to be freelancers from joining the platform as such.

Community Guru
39 of 40

That is frankly just bollocks. UpWork's most important customers are those that bring in the most money, just like to any other business. A client that spends south of a million on hiring will not do so here if they do not find talent worth paying for, and in the end, the one that pays higher fees to UpWork for the use of the platform is actually the freelancer - especially after the upcoming changes. While it may be the freelancers being outraged, making connects cost money is a big middle finger to clients with small projects, as their project budgets will make applying for their jobs unappealing from now on. 

You really need to stop putting clients on a pedestal, and you especially need to stop insisting on this divide. The platform is worse off for it.

Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
40 of 40

Preston H wrote:

Just as a matter of clarification:

Clients and freelancers are both important to Upwork.

But each individual client is much more important to Upwork than an individual freelancer.

Each client is a valuable source of revenue for Upwork, and Upwork actively tries to gain new clients and retain existing clients.

Upwork has multiple programs designed to limit the numbers of freelancers, cull and eliminate non-performing existing freelancers, and prevent many people who would like to be freelancers from joining the platform as such.

This is insane. Freelancers are not at all "less important". Clients can bring all sorts of money to the platform but if no one is there to do great work, there is no revenue (or repeat revenue).  Yes, Upwork has programs to designed to limit the number of freelancers but this is for unqualified or poorly performing freelancers. Upwork also is trying to limit the number of scam clients  and fake/illegal jobs. On this platform, one can't work without the other. You devaluing freelancers is part of the problem, not a solution to really... anything.  

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS