🐈
» Forums » Clients » Why am I getting charged twice?
Page options
9929207c
Community Member

Why am I getting charged twice?

Can someone please explain this escrow thing to me? I do not understand why I am being charged twice?

Please advise.

4 REPLIES 4
hoyle_editing
Community Member

How do you mean? as a freelancer or as a client?

As a client - can you explain this escrow to me?

Im not entirely sure how it works from the client side as im a freelancer but this is how i see it......

You post a job and agree to hire me for $200 to complete your task....

You pay the $200 into escrow to 'fund' the job (or whatever the milestone we have agreed)

I complete the work to the agreed specification of the job or milestone

i send you the work to review and ask for the funds in excrow to be released, you now have 14 days to review the work and decide if i have completed it to our agreed specification.

If i have - you release the funds 

if i have not fulfilled the specification you ask for alterations through the system and once i have done them i ask for funds to be released again....

once you are happy and release funds we can close the contract and leave each other suitable feedback.

One thing to note - when the freelancer requests the money in escrow - you have 14 days to respond...

if you DONT RESPOND in 14 days - the money is released to freelancer

if you dont ask for alterations through the "request changes" button the money will be released after 14 days

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reaching out to us, Hasan.

The reason why you were charged additionally is because you have added a salary on the contract when you have sent the offer to the freelancer. Salary means that the freelancer will get paid weekly even if they don't track any time. 

I would also suggest to check out the resources on these threads: Client Webinar Getting the Most Out of Upwork and Client Tutorial Videos.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via support ticket to assist you with this concern.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths