cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are freelancers responding by email instead of through Upwork

Monica R Member Since: Jun 13, 2016
1 of 11

In addition to the dozen or so freelancers who responded to my job posting using Upwork's messaging system, I also received direct emails from another half-dozen free-lancers. I guess they're just trying to avoid paying the commission? Is this in violation of their agreement with Upwork? What's the best way to handle?

Community Guru
Gerry S Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
2 of 11

Two possibilities:

1) You posted your email

2) The default Upwork "mail system" sucks; people get frustrated and look for alternatives.

(Once you are being interviewed or actually working, "routine communications" are usually better using whatever.

If there is a potential for a dispute, fall back to Upwork for a "paper trail").

Monica R Member Since: Jun 13, 2016
3 of 11

Definitely didn't post my email. I've certainly moved conversations with Upwork freelancers off platform for convenience once we are under contract. But I'm guessing these contractors want to work outside the platform entirely. Which doesn't seem ethical.  

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 11

Was this for SEO? That section is infamous for the junk providers tracking down your site and trying to sell you off platform. They will never leave you alone either.

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
5 of 11

Perhaps keep a list and report those freelancers to Upwork Customer Service. Maybe there's a way to forward those emails to Upwork and let them take it from there. Then add their addresses to a junk mail filter list in your email program.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 11

If I was certain that I wasn't getting direct emails due to some kind of Upwork glitch, or a setting that was forwarding those email messages to me from Upwork... Then I would definitely delete and not even look at any email messages I received directly from contractors based on a job I posted on Upwork.

It is very inappropriate for anybody to contact me via direct email based on a job I post on Upwork.

Ace Contributor
Tina D Member Since: Jul 25, 2015
7 of 11

I am getting several that are being emailed to the President of our company and NO his email is definitely not posted in the position postings.

I also think it's ironic the ones that are forwarding emails are ones that I wouldn't even dream of hiring. For example one is a VA and project manager and wants $38 an hour.  The role is for a part-time virtual assistant and while we pay reasonably that is WAY above what we are paying for this role.  

I've also noticed that this last round of job posting has not gone very well at all.  I have four positions on Upwork and I'm getting very frustrated with the lack of applicants (which has not been an issue in the past). I've typically received mutliple applicants but this time they are unqualified and in limited quantity. 

Anyone else seeing a difference since the major rate hike to freelancers?  

Thanks for any and all input.  

Community Guru
8 of 11

Thanks to these idiots, Upwork is going to start hiding client details.**Edited for Community Guidelines**. They ruin it for everyone.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 11

re: "I am getting several that are being emailed to the President of our company and NO his email is definitely not posted in the position postings."

These are bad contractors.

And bad people.

This is the first time I've heard of it.

The same low-quality "contractors" who copy-and-paste to create fake profiles have thought up a new way to make things worse for all of us.

Community Guru
10 of 11

Spam bids and run out of connects.... spam people's emails.

Upwork is going to do something about it and it's gonna hit the good contractors. Another reason why I will continue to flame the jokers.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS