🐈
» Forums » Clients » Why can't I see a message button against the ...
Page options
99734add
Community Member

Why can't I see a message button against the talents so that I can message them?

Why can't I see a message button against the talents so that I can message them?

14 REPLIES 14
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Dinesh,

Clients who are members of Upwork Plus, Upwork Business, and Upwork Enterprise can choose to reach out to new talent with Direct Messages. Feel free to check out this help article for more information on this. 

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

This is really funny...

Where exactly is the send message button on the search results ?

EDIT:
Im just realising that you might need to pay for one of the premium memberships to be able to even see the call to action panel. I'm curious as to why they are hidden instead of being still available and redirecting to your packages... It even takes time to find the panel of premium packages' fetaures 🙂

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

petra_r
Community Member

Serhan G wrote:

Im just realising that you might need to pay for one of the premium memberships to be able to even see the call to action panel. I'm curious as to why they are hidden i

No, your problem is that you are looking at the freelancer's profile from your freelancer account. You need to be in your client account to see the "Invite" and "Hire" buttons.

View from freelancer account:

from freelancer account.png

View from client account:

from client account.png

83e251e0
Community Member

Regarding the reply above with screen shot. That is NOT a message button, that is an invite to a job button. I want to talk to freelancers before opening a job. I want to get a feel for the right budget and time to set, and get to know them. I thought that's what this marketplace was supposed to help with.

That is exactly my problem. I spend few hours figuring it out so far... feels strange I can't message any freelancer to see if they are suitable for a job and if they can do it. If I click Hire there is a field on the price - "how much you agreed upon", but at the same time, I can't agree upon price, because I can't contact a freelancer, so I can't hire. Kind of a circle.
I would not contact freelancers and then pay them with some other method because I don't want freelancers to disappear with payment, etc. 

re: "That is exactly my problem. I spend few hours figuring it out so far... feels strange I can't message any freelancer to see if they are suitable for a job and if they can do it"

Anton:

I'm sorry if this was confusing.

But you CAN message any freelancer you want to see if they are suitable for a job.

That is what the "Invite" button is for.

The "Invite" button means:

"Send a message to a freelancer to talk about the job"

The "Invite" button doesn't cost anything. Doesn't commit you to anything. It's exactly what you were looking for, except the label is different than you expected.

Why can't the invite button just say message? To me, an invite button would be like to share it or some other thing other than message them. They really need to reword that.

b26dcbad
Community Member

Same here, I've spent 10 minutes trying to understand where the "message" button was. The funny thing is that in an (I guess old) help page there was a "message" button (which is what anybody expcet to see) but there is no "message" button in the real application ... 

The invite button and form doesn't seem like a message form at all.

b26dcbad
Community Member

I've just tried the "invite" button. It is not a message form. So confusing.

Is there any simple way (1 click!) to send a message to a talent?

Hi Eugenio,

Thank you for reaching out. I have checked your account and It looks like you haven't posted a job yet. So I believe you're referring to the Direct Message feature. Please note that once you have found a potential freelancer for your project on Upwork, you'll use our messaging tools to discuss the work, terms, deadline, etc.

To begin an interview message thread

1. Go to Jobs › My Jobs and open the job post
  2. From Review Proposals click the Send Message button to contact the freelancer or agency

You may want to check this help article for more details.

~ Arjay
Upwork
b26dcbad
Community Member

Hello Arjay,

thanks for your reply but again, it's very confusing. 

The link you posted clarifies the real reason why I don't see the message button: I didn't spen "ovver $1,000 in the past 12 months".

So the only way I have to contact someone is to post a job first?

Best,

E

Hi Eugenio,

Thank you for your message. Yes, you need to post a job to initiate communication with a freelancer. You will be unable to message freelancers until you invite them to your job post.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
e8835025
Community Member

@pradeep I did exactly what u said but again it is taking me to this page after clicking on messages 🙂

e8835025_0-1673108405466.png

Hi Aisa,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths