🐈
» Forums » Clients » Why can you not contact a freelancer before p...
Page options
2a1edd29
Community Member

Why can you not contact a freelancer before posting a gig?

Hello. I find it too frustrating to use the upwork platform much because you cannot ask question prior to posting a gig. I find this logic difficult to digest. I DO NOT want to have to post a gig to ask a ?. I prefer to find a freelancer first; ask them a few things and if they match, I will Post the gig or take their offer...but there are other platforms so posting on everyone is ridiculous...and if you cant communicate before hand you cant solve small issues necessary to determine if someone meets your needs. I work opposite I guess…but I will assume many many others have this same complaint….Any insight as to what logic this website uses I would be interested in the ultra-security…..it’s more of a deterrent then helpful…..Thanks hopefully you change the process in the future to make it more user friendly and I can use this site more. Thanks.

Signed,......frustrated and unhappy. 

5 REPLIES 5
spectralua
Community Member

You can contact, through the Upwork tools. Messages, meetings, voice / video, all tools are available. But not through Skype, instant messengers, etc.

Off course, if the freelancer agrees to communicate with you for free. He/she can reject to doing this.

bobafett999
Community Member

"ridiculous...and if you cant communicate before hand you cant solve small issues"

This is equivalent to asking for free demo.  Only a gullible freelancer will fall for that.  

Post a gig for small issues and hire few of them to see how they work out for you.  Then hire one of them for your real gig.

luqman_mak
Community Member

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Why can you not contact a freelancer before posting a gig?"

I think this is an incorrect assumption.

It is incorrect to assume that you can't do this.

You can do this.

As a freelancer, I am sometimes contacted by clients before they post a gig.

It is also incorrect to assume that it is necessary to contact freelancers before posting a gig.

As a client, I have hired over 180 freelancers on Upwork.

I have all the functionality I need for communicating with freelancers.

If I want to contact a freelancer, I can post a gig in less than a minute and then contact the freelancer from that gig page (job posting page). it's easy.

It is simple. It is free. I can contact whatever freelancers I want to contact. I don't actually have to hire them if I don't want to. Posting the gig doesn't commit me to anything.

Steve:
I'm sorry if the Upwork user interface was insufficiently clear that you were not readily aware of these things.

But the simple fact is: You can accomplish your goals using the Upwork user interfae as it exists at the present time.

You are correct buyers have all the tools necessary.  However, if I read the post correctly (and if you cant communicate before hand you cant solve small issues necessary to determine if someone meets your needs).  The OP is looking for free work/samples.  And if the job inloves collection of small issue solutions, he could get them done for free.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths