cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do freelancers stop responding during job hiring?

jaliu
Ace Contributor
Jonathan L Member Since: Oct 20, 2015
1 of 25

Why do freelancers bid or after an interview tell you they will get back to you with the price and then just disappear and/or ignore your messages? It seems to happen often. Are they working on other jobs on a different platform?

dzaraev
Dmitrii Z Member Since: Sep 16, 2015
2 of 25

I think not everyone can just refuse honestly, unfortunately most of people just prefer to ignore and it's applies to both clients and freelancers.

jaliu
Ace Contributor
3 of 25

I understand that's one of the reasons but i don't think it's the most common. For instance, some stop responding before I even interview them. They'll bid, respond to 1 or 2 other messages and then just disappear. Perhaps they think I'm not serious or think I'm taking too long? This even happens to people with a much lower pay rate than I would pay. I also notice they are MIA on upwork and skype as well so I feel there are other reasons. I wish they would just respond.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 25

As a client, I avoid this problem altogether by skipping the interview process.

jaliu
Ace Contributor
5 of 25

i remember you're also the guy who hires multiple freelancers for the same job. haha do you just pick the best work done out of all of them after all is said and done? sounds costly in terms of extra pay and effort required to accommodate all of them.

purplepony
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
6 of 25

@ Jonathan L.:

There are probably as many reasons that Freelancers don't respond as Clients that don't respond.  We're all unique individuals.  Why any of us does or doesn't do things in a certain manner can definitely be a mystery.  

Many Freelancers, including myself, generate income from additional avenues to the Upwork platform.  Also, of course we all have lives in addition to Upwork.

Jonathan, I can certainly understand your frustration; I too become frustrated when potential Clients don't respond, disappear...  However, I've attempted to have an "attitude adjustment" regarding it to "it is what it is."  We certainly can't control what others choose to do or not do.  Personally I believe it's rude and disrespectful to not respond but again who knows why others do or don't do...

One possibility is always that someone or their loved one may be ill, have passed...  We oftentimes don't really know what's going on in other people's lives.

One way that may assist you in communicating with Freelancers that will respond is to really read their Profiles.  If you choose to communicate with those that have some experience on the Upwork platform and have received good reviews from their previous clients, your chances of associating with ones that will respond will increase.  Hope this helps.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 25

@Jonathan L wrote:

I understand that's one of the reasons but i don't think it's the most common. For instance, some stop responding before I even interview them. They'll bid, respond to 1 or 2 other messages and then just disappear. Perhaps they think I'm not serious or think I'm taking too long? This even happens to people with a much lower pay rate than I would pay. I also notice they are MIA on upwork and skype as well so I feel there are other reasons. I wish they would just respond.

1.  Do you have a verified payment method?
  2. Do you have any hiring history on Upwork, if so:

What is your feedback like?

What is your hire rate?

What kind of feedback have you left for the freelancers you hired so far?

3.  How long is your interview process? Anything over 1 interview and 20 minutes to a very maximum of half an hour or so for a reasonable sized contract (a few hundred at least) isn't interviewing, it's consultancy

I rarely get "interviewed." Most clients hire me from my proposal with a couple of clarification questions via messages, if that.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
8 of 25

I ignore when it gets ridiculous. I've had some pretty weird responses. Like the time this guy gave me RDP access to his server without even chatting with me and I was all hmmmm I don't like this, but I tried anyway and it failed. I don't know if he was using a different port, white listed IPs for RDP or what but his communication was sketchy so I bailed.

Then there was the guy who just replied with a skype addy. Yeah, no.

Then there was the guy who wanted to negotiate down $30 on a $250 bill because of the dollar exchange rate. Eh, forget it.

Then there was the guy, after I told him one revision and my price, who said he wanted 10 revisions and he wanted it at a lower price. Bailed.

I'm not really interested in arguing with people, so I bail sometimes.

jaliu
Ace Contributor
9 of 25

Well then there are people who won't stop asking for the job (highly rated) and offer free preliminary work in hopes of landing the job. I asked someone I interviewed last night after our call if he was interested and told him some people stop responding and he said that he was interested and wouldn't be talking to me for this long if he weren't (another top rated). I guess people have different reasons and I'll never know. Sucks if they thought I wasn't seriously considering them or something like that and I was about ready to hire them.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 25

Jonathan L wrote: I asked someone I interviewed last night after our call if he was interested and told him some people stop responding and he said that he was interested and wouldn't be talking to me for this long if he weren't...

For how long?

What is the job worth (roughly) and how much time do you spend on each interview?

Is your payment method verified?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS