cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do freelancers stop responding during job hiring?

jaliu
Ace Contributor
Jonathan L Member Since: Oct 20, 2015
11 of 25

roughly half an hour for a several hundred $$ job. i did ask some questions for some interviews that upwork recommended that felt awkward and that i wouldn't have otherwise asked. it's a web dev project so we have to discuss the project and deliverables for awhile.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
12 of 25

Jonathan, - Do you have any hiring history on the site? If not, is your payment method at least verified?

designbuyers
Ace Contributor
Sharif I Member Since: Feb 15, 2015
13 of 25

Why you asking ? ... 

Is your payment method verified?

as you talking to freelancer dosen't have payment method verified It's for clients.

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
14 of 25

@Sharif I wrote:

Why you asking ? ... 

Is your payment method verified?

as you talking to freelancer dosen't have payment method verified It's for clients.

No, Petra is addressing the OP who is a client wondering why freelancers stop responding to them. It's a valid question, because if the client's payment method isn't verified that might put some freelancers off pursuing the interview.

datasciencewonk
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
15 of 25

I'm always responsive if I'm interested in the project. If I'm not interested, I just decline the job (if I've been invited to apply) politely.

However, I've the issue in mirror image to yours: clients disappearing.

Also, I check all of the bullet point questions Petra indicated before the process begins.

While it doesn't happen often, when it does, I surmise that isn't a client with whom I should do business, and carry on. 

jaliu
Ace Contributor
16 of 25

I mean I get if people stop responding if there hasn't been any progress in the hiring process, but for people who tell you they are intersted or literally tell you they will respond back soon after an interview and then ignore all future messages... then you're doing them a disservice and it's unprofessional and diminishes the quality of the platform.

datasciencewonk
Community Guru
17 of 25

@Jonathan L wrote:

I mean I get if people stop responding if there hasn't been any progress in the hiring process, but for people who tell you they are intersted or literally tell you they will respond back soon after an interview and then ignore all future messages... then you're doing them a disservice and it's unprofessional and diminishes the quality of the platform.

What do you propose as a solution?

jaliu
Ace Contributor
18 of 25

maybe some kind of "reject freelancer/client button" or "deadline to respond" kind of thing. i know elance suspended freelancers for performance issues. maybe upwork would remind freelancers/clients to respond and suspend them if these kinds of things happened too frequently. 

i do understand that in most cases a non responding client/freelancer indicates disinterest, but how long should one wait before deciding to move on? i remember in my early days as a client i waited 2 weeks for the freelancer to respond to all my messages because they told me they were interested and would get back to me after speaking with the team.

atlinguist
Community Guru
Alexandra H Member Since: Jul 30, 2015
19 of 25

Jonathan,

as I'm sure you know from the offline world, not responding to a message is unacceptable behaviour. A bit like going into a shop, addressing the sales assistant and being ignored! But as some people have mentioned in this thread, there's a myriad of reasons for why somone doesn't reply.

Most of us working on these platforms do our very best to reply to client messages as quickly and honestly as we can, so I think your best way forward would be to concentrate on the people who you do reach and who you feel you can trust.

datasciencewonk
Community Guru
20 of 25

@Jonathan L wrote:

maybe some kind of "reject freelancer/client button" or "deadline to respond" kind of thing. i know elance suspended freelancers for performance issues. maybe upwork would remind freelancers/clients to respond and suspend them if these kinds of things happened too frequently. 

i do understand that in most cases a non responding client/freelancer indicates disinterest, but how long should one wait before deciding to move on? i remember in my early days as a client i waited 2 weeks for the freelancer to respond to all my messages because they told me they were interested and would get back to me after speaking with the team.

I think a "deadline to respond" is a good idea and wonder what the Upwork powers think?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS