cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do freelancers stop responding during job hiring?

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
21 of 25

Kat and Jonathan,

Upwork team may take actions against a freelancer's account for consistently poor performance or failure to respond. Additionally, the client can set a deadline when they make an offer and the offer will expire if the freelancer doesn't respond. Freelancers are also encouraged to reply to invites within 24 hours because it contributes to their response time.

~ Valeria
Upwork
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
22 of 25

@Jonathan L wrote:

I mean I get if people stop responding if there hasn't been any progress in the hiring process, but for people who tell you they are intersted or literally tell you they will respond back soon after an interview and then ignore all future messages... then you're doing them a disservice and it's unprofessional and diminishes the quality of the platform.

I've probably done this before. I know it happened one time with a real job in which a better offer came around. I had 3 interviews that week. I meant to call the other place to tell them but got focused on the first week of having a new job and forgot. A week went by and yeah I was lazy. Shoulda called. My bad but I doubt they cared that much. 

Sometimes, I get on skype with someone and I'm in it to win it but then after thinking about it I realize that maybe it's not such a good deal. I'm one of those people who needs to sit back and think on things and I'm not good at immediately making decisions like others. 

It's just people. Just move on to someone else.

csjarmitage
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
23 of 25

I noticed this sentence in one of your previous responses, OP:

"...wouldn't be talking to me for this long if he weren't (another top rated)."

How long is your interview process, approximately? If you're dragging this on too long, it could be a big part of the problem.

designbuyers
Ace Contributor
Sharif I Member Since: Feb 15, 2015
24 of 25

As a client, I close contract and never hire freelancer again, to avoid headache, and I may not leave any feedback for freelancer, unless they reply back, I give it like 7 days and then ignore freelancer.

gerrys
Community Guru
Gerry S Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
25 of 25

They are just being "polite".

Most people don't feel comfortable or have the proper tact to tell someone "we will not be working together because of such and such".

Just ignoring the situation is easier.

Because if you do communicate in those situations, it may either:

- resolve fine

- wind up as a flame war

- turn into a whining session

Or you just get jerked around for a couple of weeks with promises and missed meeting schedules.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS