cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do recommendations have nothing to do with the job?

Highlighted
Iyas A Member Since: Oct 21, 2015
1 of 18

I posted up a job in some detail and specified the skillsets required from the available list. I then posted it, and sent invitations to the UpWork recommended freelancers. I should have looked first, but coming from Elance, the engine there was usually really good.

Turns out the freelancers invited didn't have any matches of skills. For Internet research, I was getting declines from Web Developers. No surprise - it's not what they do. It seemed like a really random selection.

One of many disappointments in moving from Elance...

Anyone figured out how to keep the recommendations relevant?

Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
2 of 18

Unfortunately, you are not alone. You may want to see this thread.

3 of 18

Thanks Olga - seems to be a real issue.

Community Guru
MERCY N Member Since: May 6, 2015
4 of 18

Unfortunately, this is one of the areas Upwork is yet to streamline. Contractors are sometimes getting recommendations for jobs that have no relevance to their skills too.

I think it is best to ignore those recommendations altogether when inviting applicants and instead seek out your own contractors depending on the skills they display on their profiles.  

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
5 of 18

For "streamline" read "achieve".

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
6 of 18

hmm....and this is how come I get a job recommended to me as a good fit....for Chinese translations....

7 of 18

Hmm. Which begs the question - is it easier to learn Chinese and take the job, or to wait for recommendations to be fixed? Smiley Happy

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
8 of 18

Hi All,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about the recommended freelancers. We continue collecting the Community's feedback and individual examples and forwarding them to the team that is working to improve the algorithm.

~ Valeria
Untitled
9 of 18

Perhaps by starting just with a straight match of skills identified by the client and those that a freelancer has on his profile would be infinitely better as a start than what's there now? Anything more sophisticated (natural text searches, AI, scoring, etc) can come later, though as this was done pretty well in Elance, I'm not sure why it can't be replicated fairly quickly here.

Just my tuppence! Thanks for replying.

Community Guru
MERCY N Member Since: May 6, 2015
10 of 18

Here, lyas - this was like a 'Eureka' moment for me! I just searched for myself the way someone outside Upwork would do, and when my profile came up this is what I read at the bottom of the page:

Skills Related to Mercy N

Spanish Content Writing PHP JavaScript English WordPress Blog Writing Android App Development Graphic design HTML Adobe Photoshop Creative writing HTML5 CSS

iPhone App Development Search Engine Optimization (SEO) C# Logo Design MySQL Administration Data Entry

No wonder Spanish translation jobs have been amongst the jobs recommended to me. In fact, in a list of 10 recommended jobs, I've been finding like one or two distant fits, and the others irrelevant enough for me to categorize the mail as 'spam'.

So there it is Valerie - my take is that's the first place the IT people need to check. How, for instance, does this segment spool JavaScript towards me? Or iPhone App Development? That's the algorithm to check, I think.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS