cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do recommendations have nothing to do with the job?

This widget could not be displayed.
11 of 18

My skills mainly are public relations, writing (in German), project management, translations E/D, but  20 skills are related to my profile and 18 of them are completely wrong, for example graphic design, PHP, Adobe photoshop, social media marketing, CSS, Java Script, Data entry, HTML5 etc.

I wonder if this wrong classification happened when I migrated my Elance account to Upwork. Whenever I get an invitation it does not fit.

Community Guru
MERCY N Member Since: May 6, 2015
12 of 18

"... I wonder if this wrong classification happened when I migrated my Elance account to Upwork..."

No, Margarete. Nothing to do with migration - I was on oDesk myself and I still experience the problem.

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
13 of 18

Valeria, please ask "The Team" just how long they plan to take to fix the issues with client search.

This has been an ongoing problem since May 5 when the change to Upwork occured. That's 5 1/2 month and this still remains an issue. 

What progres have they made so far with the problems associated with this issue. Considering they spent $1 million dollars for the Stanford search algorithm, I would expect better than this. 

Community Guru
Chris M Member Since: May 6, 2015
14 of 18

@Jean S wrote:

Valeria, please ask "The Team" just how long they plan to take to fix the issues with client search.

This has been an ongoing problem since May 5 when the change to Upwork occured. That's 5 1/2 month and this still remains an issue. 

What progres have they made so far with the problems associated with this issue. Considering they spent $1 million dollars for the Stanford search algorithm, I would expect better than this. 

Hi Jean,

Now January 2016 - Here's 3 job recommendations I received today - all totally not what I do:

...help develop a unique Hack 'n' Slash style game for Smartphones

...designer experienced in Facebook

...Industrial designer needed

I am not a games designer, I am not experienced in design for Facebook, I am not an Industrial Designer.

I have no games design, facebook experience or Industrial Design references in my job history or profile.

The Upwork Algorithm is obviously just picking up on the word 'Design'. I am not even a Designer - I am much more production oriented. I made sure I don't say I am a designer in my profie.

The only category I could tick in setting up my profile is 'Design & Creative'.

I want Upwork to get better and improve.

I wish the moderators would push for fixing all these problems with a lot more passion and determination.

Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
15 of 18
It's not the migration. I did not migrate over and I've also had completely irrelevant recommendations. Unfortunately, my freelancer profile is private, so I can't see what skills would be associated with it in search.
16 of 18

@Marcia M wrote:
It's not the migration. I did not migrate over and I've also had completely irrelevant recommendations. Unfortunately, my freelancer profile is private, so I can't see what skills would be associated with it in search.

Marcia, You can change from private to public just for a check and then change again. 

Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
17 of 18
Can't be bothered.
Ace Contributor
Vitalij R Member Since: Nov 11, 2014
18 of 18

Yes, this problem exists and influences not only on clients and also on freelancers.

They can't meet each others.

So I recommend you manual search for few freelancers then interviewing.

After few successfully completed jobs you can create own team of good freelancers on ongoing basis.

Sincerely, Vitalij - Top Rated brochure designer.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS