🐈
» Forums » Clients » Why is Upwork not enforcing when individuals ...
Page options
9191a2bb
Community Member

Why is Upwork not enforcing when individuals are sharing an account?

I have used upwork and formerly elance for over a decade and never had a major problem wtih a freelancer (in fact I have a perfect rating from freelancers).  However, I had a website project and my freelancer had a death in the family, sadly, so he was not able to complete the project. I was in a rush to get it done for the client so had to hire someone to do that last 10% of the website, a list of about 5 things. 

I hired (or thought I did) a woman whose profile indicated she had almost 10 years of wordpress development experience, was a theme developer, etc.  Well, the person started and appeared to be a total Wordpress beginning, didn't even understand the platform.  It appeared that the job was handed over to someone else after the initial proposal and emails (asking for more money, which I agreed to). 

After  a few hours or work this person claimed to finished and nothing was even complete, and they had now created display problems on the site. They also did things I didn't ask for , like removing plug ins or adding some, which is dangerous.  I asked to end the project.  Now they are disputing it.

I looked through old reviews and saw that multiple names were used, which to me shows more than one person is working on this individual profile.  In the dispute, however, Upwork however is siding with the freelancer.  The dispute rep even called this person him at times and her at other times.  It appears that everyone but me the client knows this is a shared profile. 

I am getting pressured to pay the whole amount instead of part (I offered $35 out of $200).  It is clear that nothing was completed since I immediatey opened a job with the same scope of services plus additional to correct the new problems this person caused, but Upwork is continuing to back this freelancer and is not enforcing their own TOS.  

As a result, I'm sure this school or whatever it is will go on to damage other client websites.  This is not good.  Anyone else experience this?  Upwork, is this really your policy to allow this and turn a blind eye?

17 REPLIES 17
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Jeanne,

Account sharing isn't allowed and all users are warned against giving their login and password to anybody. I'll follow up with the team about your case and we'll have the information you provided further reviewed. Thank you!

~ Valeria
Upwork

Wow.  This dispute was quickly switched to another person, but all I got was another request to "prove" why I believe this person is sharing an account.  I have already pointed out extensive proof, but it appears no one is willing to read what's in the records already:

1.  If you read the profile's reviews, there are multiple names mentioned by the clients as who they worked with.  This to me should be enough....I have never seen that before after hiring hundreds of freelancers on here and elance. 

2.  I asked upwork reps to review the messages on the job ,which tell the story.  After a few hours of work, this person said they were "done" and nothing that I saw was done, so they didn't understand the task at hand or anything.  The message exchange also shows me asking them how much they have worked with wordpress, then discovering new problems that weren't there before which they then couldn't figure out how to fix.  This was not an experienced wordpress developer doing the work, as the profile represented.  

Upwork also is taking the freelancers side who is claiming they completed the work.  After ending the job I immediately posted another job with the same scope plus the requirement to fix the display problems on multiple screens that this person had created.  Why would I pay twice if this work really had been completed?  

I find this whole process very strange.  Its not alot of money at stake but if there's no committment by Upwrork to uphold its own terms and protect clients, it appears they are putting more clients at risk here.  Its my suspicion that this profile is doing some "on the job training" thing, but now I'm being asked to pay for it, when I already have paid more than the job amount to complete the job AND fix the additional problems this inexperienced person created in the website. 

This whole platform appears to be favoring freelancers who pay the higher percentage, however Upwork needs to remember that without clients there will be no revenue, either.  

Maybe they will delete these messages, not sure...but I wanted to warn other clients here, if Upwork is not doing their part that I can see.   

Is there anyone from Upwork on here monitoring these boards?  On this dispute, even though I have asked repeatedly, the two reps on it will not answer my question about enforcing the sharing of profiles.  If they don't believe the freelancer is sharing, they should show me the evidence that disputes what I clearly see (reviews referring to two people and answers to questions showing that someone doesn't understand the platform they supposedly are quite proficient on). 

I have requested here and on the dispute for someone from Upwork management to contact me by email or phone to let me know about how Upwork enforces its terms of services to protect clients. 

?

Just found something troubling that is just more confirmation that this person was sharing the job even though they represented themself as an individual, not an agency.

I just noticed in the users for this wordpress site that this person added another administrator (without letting me know, which is a big deal).  As anyone in the web development world knows, anyone with administrator rights can cause huge damage, but this person added an administrator without asking me. 

Upwork keeps telling me to provide proof that this person is sharing an account.  The multiple names in the reviews for me made it obvious, but now I sent a screen showing this other person, "Mofi", was added as well.  

Anyway, Upwork needs to do something here.  If you don't, this is my warning to other clients to be very aware if this profile sharing is ignored and allowed to persist.  This is worse however, not only are they sharing a profile, they are providing others admin access without permission. 

@Jeanne K wrote:

Just found something troubling that is just more confirmation that this person was sharing the job even though they represented themself as an individual, not an agency.

I just noticed in the users for this wordpress site that this person added another administrator (without letting me know, which is a big deal).  As anyone in the web development world knows, anyone with administrator rights can cause huge damage, but this person added an administrator without asking me. 

Upwork keeps telling me to provide proof that this person is sharing an account.  The multiple names in the reviews for me made it obvious, but now I sent a screen showing this other person, "Mofi", was added as well.  

Anyway, Upwork needs to do something here.  If you don't, this is my warning to other clients to be very aware if this profile sharing is ignored and allowed to persist.  This is worse however, not only are they sharing a profile, they are providing others admin access without permission. 

Moderators? The OP has legitimate questions, which seemingly are being ignored ... And they are questions that we would all like an answer to. 

Jeanne and Nichola,

Unfortunately, we won't be able to share more information about the results of the team's review of the freelancer's account as well as the dispute here in the Community. Upwork team continues to assist Jeanne with the dispute process directly via the ticket.

A couple of things I'd like to confirm. Users aren't allowed to log into other users' accounts and share login information. Freelancers also aren't allowed to log hours through another user's account. Freelancers are allowed to use subcontractors according to section 2.1 RELATIONSHIP WITH UPWORK of the User Agreement and section 3. RESPONSIBILITY FOR EMPLOYEES AND SUBCONTRACTORS, INCLUDING AGENCY MEMBERS of the Optional Service Contract Terms.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Shouldn't they then be required to register as an agency?

In this case, the person I thought I hired advertised themselves as a "Wordpress developer and front end expert" with more than 5 years experience with many websites". Yet the person who worked on it seemed to have no more than a few weeks knowledge of wordpress, if that. And I was not told that this was going to be handed off and that the freelancer I hired would then provide carte blanche on this site to a much less experienced person (in the form of giving them an administrator login without permission).  

Are you saying this is allowed?  Why aren't these people required to list as an agency, where this would be expected.

@Jeanne K wrote:

Are you saying this is allowed?  Why aren't these people required to list as an agency, where this would be expected.

This is not allowed, you were scammed. What is allowed is to subcontract, but the client has to be informed about it and has to agree with it.

But it's irrelevant since whoever you were working with just lied about their ability to do the job.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

I agree...I was scammed.   The situation is that Upwork is taking the side of the contractor in the dispute and does not appear to have interest in making sure the person advertising their work and skills as an individual actually does the work.  

I can't believe it is okay for them to subcontract the work to someone without the skills and experience.  They should be an agency then. 

But if that really is upwork's stance, clients should be aware of it.  Then why hire off of Upwork?  

I just discovered that either this freelancer, or the person she granted access as an admistrator, changed our wordpress settings so I cannot log the person out and change their password.  Unbelievable. This contractor is dangerous.  

So now I have to hire someone to fine tooth comb the site and search for some type of plug in or something that would re-enter a password after its been deleted.  

This appears to be a direct result of Upwork turning a blind eye to shared profiles.

I may have to escalate this.  Upwork needs some responsiblity here as the site that has terms of service, etc.  

mtngigi
Community Member

Jeanne,

I've flagged your post to hopefully get a mod's attention.

We are encouraged to flag profiles that appear fraudulent - sometimes actions are taken, sometimes not (or so it appears). I don't know how Upwork makes it's decisions, but it's disheartening to hear whats going on in your case.

ETA: Valeria came along as I was writing my reply. Good luck.

versailles
Community Member

@Jeanne K wrote:

It appeared that the job was handed over to someone else after the initial proposal and emails (asking for more money, which I agreed to). 

Why? Whid did you agree to give them more money when it became obvious that you were dealing with a shared account.

To answer your question: Why is Upwork not enforcing when individuals are sharing an account?

Because Upwork can only intervene when clients actually report these fraudulent activities, and some clients, like you, don't.
Upwork cannot actively monitor all the exchanges between clients and freelancers on the platform.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Hello,

I wrote that quickly so probably didn't explain.  Before the job was accepted, a person who did understand wordpress stated that the scope required more money.  I'm a reasonable person and dont' want to nickle and dime so I agreed to increase the budget.  This was before the job was seemingly handed off to a beginner who started playing around with the site (or that's what it seems from my end).

Normally I would take more time in the hiring process and maybe I would have seen that there were mutliple names in the reviews BUT I believe this is Upworks job.  If as a client we can't rely on knowing who is going to do the work, that is a failure of your system.

Right now I am shocked that Upwork is taking this group's side and ignoring this.  I would like someone at Upwork management to contact me, please, as I find it hard to believe that this is the corporate philosophy.  I can provide contact info but I assume you have it all.  I would encourage someone to read the messages between myself and the freelancer in the job.  To anyone who works with wordpress, it tells the story.  

Thanks!

tta192
Community Member

@Jeanne K wrote:

Hello,

I wrote that quickly so probably didn't explain.  Before the job was accepted, a person who did understand wordpress stated that the scope required more money.  I'm a reasonable person and dont' want to nickle and dime so I agreed to increase the budget.  This was before the job was seemingly handed off to a beginner who started playing around with the site (or that's what it seems from my end).

Normally I would take more time in the hiring process and maybe I would have seen that there were mutliple names in the reviews BUT I believe this is Upworks job.  If as a client we can't rely on knowing who is going to do the work, that is a failure of your system.

Right now I am shocked that Upwork is taking this group's side and ignoring this.  I would like someone at Upwork management to contact me, please, as I find it hard to believe that this is the corporate philosophy.  I can provide contact info but I assume you have it all.  I would encourage someone to read the messages between myself and the freelancer in the job.  To anyone who works with wordpress, it tells the story.  

Thanks!

The Upwork customer rep. you're talking to has zero Worpress experience; they don’t “work with wordpress”. They may try it really hard, but will never understand the situation. Don't go into details with them about any specific technology!

The first thing you should do is to attach the whole story as a comment to the feedback you are allowed to leave when closing the contract. That stands the best chance to warning other people about this (these?) freelancer’s practices. And it's effective, too!

Jeanne,

Was this a fixed-rate job or hourly? If it was fixed-rate, I would take it to arbitration. Freelancers like this do a great disservice to professional freelancers and the site, and it creates relationships based on suspicion before a job even starts. 

For anyone following this thread, finally, Upwork got it and took action.  Sounds like they removed the offender from Upwork, and they refunded my money for the job.

The process was really, really frustrating however...I hope they listen to my feedback so that's not required.    

That said, I am going to be much more careful in hiring, and carefully look at reviews to make sure I'm not hiring those who "share" work.  Never knew that was a thing, but now I get it.  Hopefully this helps anyone reading this avoid this in the future by being aware its out there.

Hi Rene, 

I did report this first by phone and second in the dispute process, but the Upwork rep on the dispute is now ignoring it. Hence my emails here.  

I appreciate everyone's quick response!  Next time I will make sure I am fully caffeinated before typing.  🙂

Latest Articles
Learning Paths