cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Why not Upwork accepts prepaid card for the payments?

Illya K Member Since: May 26, 2017
11 of 37

Wrong Smiley Very Happy

We, clients from Ukraine, have issues as I mentioned earlier. I cannot pay to a freelancer with any ukranian card as all of them are debit. Though we can overdraft it is still a debit card for you. Anyway, you answered our question, Upwork is not going to update platform for this. So, the question is closed. Just don't tell that ukrainian and russian (probably) clients can pay to freelancers without problems with the cards issued in those countries.

With best regards,

Illya

Sergii S Member Since: Nov 8, 2017
12 of 37

Most of the cards in our county are debits. I use debits cards also, not just from Ukraine banks. But I can't use this cards on your service. And I don't have another.

Now I'm living in Egypt and don't have a possibility to open another type for you. 

Very sad, that you don't accept Debits. 

Another way - make some preauthorization of sum on the debits cards, as a guarantee. 

But you don't want. 

Moreover, some customers said, that even from credit cards from Ukraine not possible to pay - you don't care.

Maybe need to switch on PayPal way for payment for Ukrainians and Russians?

Or you also don't care? 

Lukkas S Member Since: Aug 3, 2017
13 of 37

Speaking as someone who's been burned by trusting bank accounts in the past- Bank Debit Cards are no more trustworthy than Prepaid Debit Cards.

It's just as feasible that a client has little to nothing in his bank account as compared to a legitimate debit card provided by a company like Walmart or Target.

We aren't talking about one shot gift cards, we're talking about permanent accounts that are associated with the client's identity by law.

Personally speaking, I refuse to put my bank account on the internet. Paypal was fine with my Bluebird card, it will be most unfortunate if upwork rejects my business on the fact that my Paypal has a linked debit card but not a linked bank account.

Highlighted
Raphaelle B Member Since: May 16, 2019
14 of 37

Hello, 

Thank your for your message which is clear for this aspect. Unfortunately, I am in a French company which does not have a bank account located in the US. What can I do? I would really prefer not registering my personal credit card...

15 of 37

Hello, 

What is the solution when my company is only relying on Spendesk prepaid credit cards and that our company's bank account is outside the US? 

16 of 37

Hello, 

I am a Marketing Manager trying to hire and pay a freelancer on Upwork. I am blocked as wanting to register a prepaid card (Spendesk). The issue is that my company does not own other credit cards (regular ones) and its bank account is located in France, not in the US. What can I do, how can I make this work? 

This is completely blocking my use of Upwork and access to freelancers

Thank you for your help

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
17 of 37

Hi Raphaelle,

Unfortunately, prepaid cards aren't accepted on Upwork as a billing method. Check out this help article for more information on the methods you could add.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
18 of 37

cuz prepaid cards are for plebs that have bad credit and nobody wants to deal with that

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
19 of 37

@Jennifer M wrote:

cuz prepaid cards are for plebs that have bad credit and nobody wants to deal with that

Not always true.

I have plenty of money and a stack of credit cards, but I use a Payoneer prepaid card to withdraw funds from Upwork and other sites. I do this because I don't have to link a bank account to the card, which is a good thing, because one of my bank accounts got cleaned out by hackers about three years ago. Few people I know want to deal with that.

But then again, I don't hire people on Upwork, so it hardly matters that I use a prepaid card. 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
20 of 37

So why do you think Upwork won't take them?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS