cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why not Upwork accepts prepaid card for the payments?

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
21 of 37

@Jennifer M wrote:

So why do you think Upwork won't take them?

I am sure Upwork has valid reasons for not taking prepaid cards, but my post was not about that. It was about your silly statement that prepaid cards are only for plebs who have bad credit and no money.

Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
22 of 37

@Reinier B wrote:

Not always true.

I have plenty of money and a stack of credit cards, but I use a Payoneer prepaid card to withdraw funds from Upwork and other sites. I do this because I don't have to link a bank account to the card, which is a good thing, because one of my bank accounts got cleaned out by hackers about three years ago. Few people I know want to deal with that.

But then again, I don't hire people on Upwork, so it hardly matters that I use a prepaid card. 

I think how you collect money as a freelancer and how a client authorizes a payment method are two separate things. Would you accept an hourly job with someone if you knew their only "verified" payment method was a prepaid card? What happens if the hours exceed then pre-loaded value? If the card is not attached to a bank account, how does it serve as any type of verification? I would imagine if Upwork accepted prepaid cars we would have a whole new set of scammers along with the legitimate clients.

I don't think there is anything wrong with using a prepaid card for personal, upfront purchases. I received one as a prize once and used it to pre-pay three months of my gym membership (upfront I doubt the gym would consider it an acceptable "card on file"). But as a freelancer, it would be concerning to work for a client who only had a prepaid card. Too many things can go wrong.

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
23 of 37

@Samantha S wrote:

@Reinier B wrote:

Not always true.

I have plenty of money and a stack of credit cards, but I use a Payoneer prepaid card to withdraw funds from Upwork and other sites. I do this because I don't have to link a bank account to the card, which is a good thing, because one of my bank accounts got cleaned out by hackers about three years ago. Few people I know want to deal with that.

But then again, I don't hire people on Upwork, so it hardly matters that I use a prepaid card. 

I think how you collect money as a freelancer and how a client authorizes a payment method are two separate things. Would you accept an hourly job with someone if you knew their only "verified" payment method was a prepaid card? What happens if the hours exceed then pre-loaded value? If the card is not attached to a bank account, how does it serve as any type of verification? I would imagine if Upwork accepted prepaid cars we would have a whole new set of scammers along with the legitimate clients.

I don't think there is anything wrong with using a prepaid card for personal, upfront purchases. I received one as a prize once and used it to pre-pay three months of my gym membership (upfront I doubt the gym would consider it an acceptable "card on file"). But as a freelancer, it would be concerning to work for a client who only had a prepaid card. Too many things can go wrong.

Perhaps I have just been lucky over the past decade or so, because I have never not been paid by off-site clients who don't have to fund escrow, or verify a payment method. 

As a matter of fact, the only problems I have ever had with payments was with clients whose payment methods i.e., credit cards, had been "verified" by Upwork and other sites.

The way I see it, most, if not all payment issues can be avoided if clients were allowed to prefund their accounts. Upwork can spend a few days verifying the payment source, and once they are satisfied that the payment is legit, a client can then use that balance to fund escrow for jobs. I am sure many people will find all sorts of faults with this idea, but as with anything, the details can be worked out to everyone's satisfaction.

The problems with credit card verification are real, and at this point, there seems to be no solution in sight to the issue of credit card fraud, which means that prefunding of clients' accounts might be worth considering, especially in view of the fact that many stolen credit cards pass the "verification" process with distressing regularity.

g c Member Since: Apr 4, 2017
24 of 37

If you have any sense you would prefer to never let any person or business have access to your bank account, whcih is exactly what you are doing with a debit card.  Even credit cards present the possibility of the hassle of fraudulent charges.  Honest Internet businesses should NEVER ASK FOR SUCH INFORMATION.  Rather, with a prepaid card you can fund an account with only the amount YOU decide.  Nothing is worse than having to determine, unravel, correct,a nd reverse an unauthorized charge.  Prepaid cards completely prevent that and FINALLY PUT THE POWER BACK IN THE HANDS OF THE CUSTOMER, WHERE IT SHOULD BE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
25 of 37

Hi G C,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Unfortunately, prepaid credit cards can't be accepted on Upwork as billing method for security reasons. Upwork offers a lot of tools to clients that allow them to manage their payments and monitor work freelancers complete. Please, check out this help article for more information about Upwork Payment Protection

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
26 of 37

G.C.:
I am certain that if Upwork thought it would make more money by accepting pre-paid cards as payment methods for clients, they would do so. Upwork is a profit-driven business, as it should be.

The problem is not with honest people such as yourself.

The problem that Upwork faces is that there are so many scoundrels who want to use pre-paid cards to run scams, and so many irresponsible people who would misuse pre-paid cards, that it actually makes it not worth the hassle.

You are correct in pointing out that many online businesses accept pre-paid cards for purchasing things such as shoes or books or dollhouse furniture. They can do so because they are shipping physical items and can verify payment before doing so. But Upwork is allowing clients to hire freelancers, and the amount of work they'll do an thus the amount clients need to be billed is not a set figure. So it's not exactly the same thing.

Lukkas S Member Since: Aug 3, 2017
27 of 37

@Samantha S wrote:
Would you accept an hourly job with someone if you knew their only "verified" payment method was a prepaid card? What happens if the hours exceed then pre-loaded value? If the card is not attached to a bank account, how does it serve as any type of verification? I would imagine if Upwork accepted prepaid cars we would have a whole new set of scammers along with the legitimate clients.

What happens if the hours exceed the contents of a bank account?

What happens if the hours exceed the limits of a credit card?

Forgive my assumptions here, but it looks like you're thinking of Gift Cards [which are anonymous and are used up and then discarded] rather than legitimate Debit Cards such as Bluebird or Redcard. These get caught by the 'no prepaid cards' clause as well when they are just as permanent and 'real' as a Bank Card. The only difference is that it's not linked to my bank account, something I refuse to use on the internet for security reasons.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
28 of 37

@Lukkas S wrote:

What happens if the hours exceed the contents of a bank account?

What happens if the hours exceed the limits of a credit card?

Forgive my assumptions here, but it looks like you're thinking of Gift Cards [which are anonymous and are used up and then discarded] rather than legitimate Debit Cards such as Bluebird or Redcard. These get caught by the 'no prepaid cards' clause as well when they are just as permanent and 'real' as a Bank Card. The only difference is that it's not linked to my bank account, something I refuse to use on the internet for security reasons.

Gift cards cut you off once you reach the amount on the card. Credit cards will auto-extend your credit line unless you're a pleb.

I'm glad they don't take gift cards. I mean jeesus what are we in the hood or something? Get a real charge card if you want to buy things online like services. Nobody takes gift cards unless they are working out of the trunk of their car.

Illya K Member Since: May 26, 2017
29 of 37

I think you forget that there are no credit cards issued in some countries, that's what this discussion is about. I have 5 cards, including my business account card from a national bank, one payoneer card, etc. and none of them are credit cards, banks in certain countries just don't issue them, so I cannot pay for services on upwork. A solution would be to, at least, accept debit / prepaid cards for tasks with fixed amount, I mean to be able to place tasks with fixed reward using debit / prepaid card. I could not hire a copywriter. That sucks.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
30 of 37

Hi Illya,

If the debit card your bank issued doesn't require prefunding, you should be able to add it as a billing method. We do have a strong community of clients and freelancers based in Russia, so you might want to ask for advice about which card can be used for making payments on Upwork.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS