cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why the substantial change in hourly rate from Elance to Upwork?

Community Guru
Barbara W Member Since: Sep 10, 2015
11 of 17

As a freelancer, here are my reasons for rate changes.

• I started off bidding at a ridiculously low rate because I thought I had to, in order to get my foot in the door.
  • I raised my rates slightly when I realized I couldn't function at that rate anymore.
  • I raised my rates again when I was advised my rates were too low and I was not attracting quality clients.
  • I am considering another rate increase because I have done more research in regards to what is a "fair" price for my quality.

For the clients I have that I don't feel are taking advantage of me, regardless of what I have been advised by other freelancers/clients/network people - I will continue to provide my services at the rates I have already agreed upon.

For the clients who are unable to offer me a rate that I can function at - I bid adieu and left positive feedback. (These particular clients were on another platform.)

For clients in the future - I have a new minimum rate, based on input from those more experienced than myself.

Rate increases are normal as a freelancer gains more knowledge, more skill, more experience, and/or more financial responsibility. Talk to the freelancer to see if they're willing to offer you the previously discussed rate, or if they're willing to negotiate with you to find a middle ground.

If negotiation isn't your thing, or the freelancer isn't willing to work at the previous rate - I'm sorry but you'll have to find someone else.

- Barbara Herrera -
Ace Contributor
Marissa A Member Since: Apr 29, 2015
12 of 17

I have also increased my rates gradually since I started. I got more experienced, I started offering more services, I know the value of my work and I charge a rate that I feel comfortable with. If a past client didn't close the contract, then I still work for the previous rate. But even when past clients have rehired me, they pay my new rate and they are happy to do it because they value my work (they even send bonuses).

Gary R Member Since: Oct 9, 2015
13 of 17

Very good information and thank all of you so much for taking the time to reply. I thought it was just an Upwork thing.  

It isn't that my guy won't work for me. I just wondered why the price change.  

Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
14 of 17

@Margarete M wrote:

Who is this Gary R. who looks like a car and whose public profile is blanc?

Margarete, this is the Clients sub-forum. Quite often, clients will come to this area to post questions related to their job posts, etc.  Client profiles do not look the same as a freelancers profiles.  In fact, clients are not required to have an avatar photo, nore are there the same restrictions as to avatar content.

It's quite comment to see posts by Clients here with all sorts of odd avatars and empty profiles. If a Client is also a freelancer, then I belive we would see their Freelancer avatar and profile, but don't quote me on that, as it's not something I've noticed very often.

tanya s Member Since: Oct 11, 2015
15 of 17

Do anyone actually like a Client? Who actually pays? Can UW survive without clients? Why do I see so many posts which are plainly negative to clients?
Freelancers can and do raise their rates in order not to get stripped by high fees at UW. But clients are not that stupid to pay for the increase in fees on both sides. Clients may not care at all about freelancers' rate. They can bid per whole job and not per hour. A payment per hour is the least attractive option for a client.

Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
16 of 17

tanya, I am not sure what you are referring to as "negative" here, but I can assure you that most freelancers like and treat their clients very well. However, the community is a freezone meant for sosializing and exchanging information, so most people here - freelancers and clients alike - do not sugarcoat things. Of course it is another thing to be straightout rude, but honestly answering questions can hardly be seen as negative towards clients. Afterall, most freelancers go into freelancing because they want to be their own boss, so even if the client is the one who pays, freelancers do not consider clients to be in any way above them - not to mention that on the forums we are all really just people of equal standing anyway, as we have no contracts in place with each other. 

I've raised my rates as well considerably within the 5 months that I have been here, and I see it as a natural phenomenom of the online freelancing. Like Barbara said, many freelancers start bidding at considerably low price to get their foot in the door, and as soon as they get enough experience, they raise their prices - which in truth is how it should be. In fact, it is necessary, as most experienced clients will consider a freelancer with a suspiciously low rate to be either unexperiences and/or fake (with good reason, as they too often are), which will make it hard for the freelancer to get contracts after a certain point. 

Basically, while the reason for rate changes can be because of grown experience, new qualification, supply & demand or branding (or any number of other reasons), in the end it is always about moving up in the freelancing food chain.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
17 of 17

re: "Do anyone actually like a Client?"

I think my clients are all great.

Maybe lowball, questionable clients don't bother contacting me because my rate is higher-than-average.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS