cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

With the Russian Ruble so weak, should their programmers be cheap?

George B Member Since: Jan 21, 2016
61 of 67

Hi Gunta!

Thanks so much for your post.  That link was very useful.

So, again, maybe this is not the appropriate place for what I want to do.  I want someone to work for me.  Full-time.  40 hours a week.  Ideally, no other job.  Maybe salary.  I don't see why we would not use upwork for the payment.  I don't actually know what percentage they take, but I think they earn their money.

I have really struggled to make people here understand how the exchange rate is so far out of wack that it makes no sense to ignore it.  If I wanted to buy a car from you using gold, wouldn't it matter if price were $400 per oz or $1,200 per oz?  That is the magnitude of the change in the exchange rates.  And if someone said: well, 2 years ago the price of gold was $1,200, so that is the rate we should use.  But you should look at the price now, not what it was then.  The gold is the same and the car is the same, but the value of the gold is different and only a fool would ignore it.  So it is with the exchange rate.

George

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
62 of 67

George:

There are LOTS of contractors on Upwork who work full time for a single client, with no other clients, exactly using the situation you state that you want.

There's nothing at all wrong with that. A lot of contractors are thrilled to have the opportunity to do this.

If you want to do this, you can do this without any changes whatsoever to the current Upwork system.

Regardless of the opinion of anybody in the Community Forum, you can do this, as many other clients have.

I think the only disconnect was in assuming that the rate at which you might be able to hire a specific contractor would be based on their locale or data you can look up on the web about their locale. Maybe. Maybe not. Each contractor makes their own choices about their rates.

63 of 67

Thanks Prestin.

It is good to know that.  

I was really wondering if I was just in the wrong place.

George

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
64 of 67

George, I think the crux of the matter is that if those freelancers can work for someone else at a higher rate, why would they work for you at a lower rate?

Just concentrate on Supply and demand.

As long as those freelancers (wherever they are) are getting enough work at their rate they will not entertain working at half that rate. 

If if I moved to the cheapest country with the lowest cost of living tomorrow, would my skills (and with them my hourly rate) become worth less to the clients who are currently paying it?

I actually DO hear what you are saying, and understand where you are coming from, but put yourself into the shoes of the freelancers.

if it was a choice of "no work" and "work at your rate" the idea would make sense.

but when it's a matter between choosing between 2 clients, with one paying twice as much, surely you see where the choice will go. 

I was was asked once by. Client "BUT WHY DO YOU CHARGE SO MUCH?"

I just said "Because I can."

And that, George, is the bottom line. Supply and demand.

65 of 67

Thanks Petra.

I agree with what you said.  But, it is my proposition that over time, more freelancers will chase the extremely lucrative freelance jobs.  This will increase supply and force rates down.  

Believe me, I do not begrudge anyone for finding the highest price for their service.  But a market rate will eventually prevail and it is a simple matter of economics that that rate will be much lower than it has been in the past given the historic weakening of the Ruble.  And this is how the Russian economy start to correct the imbalance by attracting dollars.

George

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
66 of 67

@George B wrote:

Thanks Petra.

I agree with what you said.  But, it is my proposition that over time, more freelancers will chase the extremely lucrative freelance jobs.  This will increase supply and force rates down.  

Yes, absolutely.

But that is how supply and demand works, and we are a long way from that point.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
67 of 67

Hi All,

While we appreciate participants sharing different opinions and views about various issues, we would like to ask you to be respectful towards others and the Community Guidelines.

This thread has been closed for further replies.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS