cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

With the Russian Ruble so weak, should their programmers be cheap?

George B Member Since: Jan 21, 2016
21 of 67

Thanks Prestin for your response.

What I find interesting is that the only people to respond so far are people that want to be employed.  I am trying to do the employing.  But don't worry, I am getting discouraged fast.  

But I might point out that discouraging people who want to hire programmers is counter productive no matter what your economic beliefs are.

George

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
22 of 67

Just as a matter of interest, George, are you also factoring in, when comparing freelancers (wherever they may be) with employees, the perks of the jobs employees have? Such as paid sick leave, holidays, etc.?

At the end of the day, a freelancer does not work FOR anyone; he is nobody's employee. Each is an independent contractor, a business in their own right, who are free to set rates that they feel they deserve (whether deservedly or not is a moot point). As a client, because that is what you are: a client, not an employer, you have the right to sift through proposals and pick the freelancer to do the job that you feel fits both your budget and your needs. You are not forced to pay what you might consider an exorbitant price. Nor is a freelancer forced to accept a contract that they feel pays way below their pay grade. 

That is the bottom line.

23 of 67

Hi Irene,

So, I am looking to employ someone.   An American worker would cost about 9% more.  The other factors would be the same.

And doing a quick calculation, I am offering a wage that would put them in the top 5% of wage earners in Russia.

Just because it is a good deal for me doesn't mean that it is a bad deal for the person getting the job.

Thanks,

George

Community Guru
Natasa M Member Since: May 8, 2014
24 of 67

What is your problem, I don't understand? 

We are not at the flea market here.  

It is extremely, extremely rude that you give yourself a freedom to infer how much people should be charging, using twisted reasoning at that and with no real clue about anything. Even worse - not aware of your own ignorance.

You have a certain budget. Find someone who is willing to work within your budget instead of arguing here about how much other people should value their work and their time based on their location (and your misleading stats!)

Better yet, go to Moscow or New Delhi or Manila and see first-hand what 'luxurious' life you can have on $10/hour.

25 of 67

Hi Natasa,

It was not my intention to be rude and I am sorry you feel that way.

I am not cheap and I am not unfair.  I am offering full-time employment to someone at 850 Rubles per hour. 

That is a higher pay rate than 95% of Russians make.

But, by all means, we can't have someone like me around.

If you are Russian, let me ask you,  is 1,720,000 rubles a year a bad job in Russia?  Just so you know, the average Russian annual pay is 374,400.  I am offering nearly 5 times the average Russian salary.  Plus you can work at home.  Plus there is no comute.  And the hours are 9am to 5pm.  

Regards,

George

Community Guru
26 of 67

"That is a higher pay rate than 95% of Russians make..."  

Wow,  statistics- the worst thing ever without proper interpretation.... People really take in that data without any critical thought-so bad...

Why would one care what other people make?  

People have their own calculations that work for them for some reason (whether that is low or high.)

The averages are funny thing-you can eat just meat every day, I can eat just potato and on average we had a tasty stew.  In theory, you can live on $700 a month in the U.S.  Would you try that nickel -and- dimed  experiment?

I could be a person whose living expenses are paid by someone else and I could tell you that $600 a month in any country  is enough to live like a king.Of course-because I am not the one paying my expenses!

Now seriously-just post your ad as you did here-"I am offering that"-I don't know how much?- 1, 750 something, "9-5 work time" and see what response you 'll get. And leave your judgements (about fair rate  and what salary should make Russians happy) out of it.  

If you have your rate and it is , let's say $30/hour, would you like  that someone tells you , "Oh, but that is expensive! Other people in the U.S charge $15 and statistic shows that it is a higher than  what 95% Americans make...You should be charging $15/an hour..."? 

27 of 67

Hi Natasa,

I am not telling anyone how much they should make.  

And I have done just what you suggested.  I have offerred it and I have some reasonable candidates.  

Maybe someone will be happy to get a job so they can make a nice living.  I am not sure why this situation made you so angry.

As far as I can see, this is a huge opportunity for Russians and Americans.  I win because I get a good deal on someone to help me and a Russian gets a good job.  Win-Win!

George

Community Guru
28 of 67

Not angry at all-I don't know from what you deduced that. I was just explaining why your logic and generalization fails on so many levels, maybe one can interpret that as an anger, I don't know.

The title of your post was "With the Russian Ruble so weak, should their programmers be cheap..."  And it was followed by some nebulous statistic musings...

My answer in short was- no. 

You were the one complaining how Russian developers keep their  "high" prices, not me, btw. 

Good luck!

Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
29 of 67

Instead of hiring by price, hire by skill. 

Don't worry what country they're from. Worry about what kind of job they do. 

I'm assuming that your project should be making you some money in future. That's something to consider when you're trying to go cheap. That person will be making you money. 

Test out different freelancers and assign tests you're going to pay the shortlisted freelancers for. You might find the best one through that method. Whether the project winner is cheaper or not, at least you'll know you're comfortable with that person's work. *Preston has said that people should try out a few freelancers to see who's the best fit, so this is where I got this idea* 

I'm not saying I'm right, but you asked, and I gave my 2 cents (now worth $20 lol). 

30 of 67

"I'm not saying I'm right, but you asked, and I gave my 2 cents (now worth $20 lol). "

Do you accept PayPal?

Thanks for the advice.

George

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS