cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

With the Russian Ruble so weak, should their programmers be cheap?

Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
31 of 67

@George B wrote:

"I'm not saying I'm right, but you asked, and I gave my 2 cents (now worth $20 lol). "

Do you accept PayPal?

Thanks for the advice.

George

LOL!  

And you're welcome. Smiley Happy 

IULIIA A Member Since: Jun 14, 2010
32 of 67

Hi! Answering your question:

No, programmers shouldnt be cheap.  

Their knowledges, professional skills don't depend upon the situation in the country.  What you are trying  to do is called discrimination.  And this violates Human Rights!!! 

The same as you would descrease salary to the Employer with black skin!

We are here all equal, with equal rights and the only factor of our salary should be professional one. Not the country or nationality.

George B Member Since: Jan 21, 2016
33 of 67

Offering someone 1,700,000 rubles a year to work from their house is a human rights violation?

Thanks for your thoughts Uliya.

George

34 of 67

Yes.

Because you dont have such right to define Employer salary based on the location of this person and his way of working.  

Your approach could be logical if you worked in Russia, started your company and hired people in accordance with Russian laws. Are you living now in Russian Federation?

We are in Upwork!  We are directed by the terms and regulations of Upwork platform. And you should go by its rules only!

35 of 67

I am confused.  What upwork rule have I violated?

George

36 of 67

Is there any rule to descrease the rate of Employee because of his country situation?

37 of 67

Yuliya,

"Is there any rule to descrease the rate of Employer because of his country situation?"

Really?  We are free, of course, to set any rate we can agree to. 

I don't think you and I are going to agree on this.  If I do hire someone, you can talk to them in a year and see whether their human rights have been violated.

Regards,

George

38 of 67

George, you can make offer! 
But this is not your job to check a pocket of the developer and decide how happy he should be with your $10 per hour.

This is only YOUR OPINION that somebody should get less money because he lives in the country with worse economy, this is only YOUR DESIRE  to pay less,.

But this is not your business to decide how much the skills of the professional cost.

39 of 67

Yuliya,

I might have been wrong...maybe we CAN agree.

I now understand that putting "Cheap" in the title would cause a reaction.  I wasn't trying to offend anyone.

The question I had and the reason for the post is, shouldn't Americans and Russians be doing a ton of business here now?  Exchange rates are way above you and I ... we didn't have anything to do with them, but they offer us a huge opportunity.

I do all my own programming and for $25 per hour, I would rather do it myself.  But I would pay $10 per hour. With the exchange rate, we should be able to both get what we want. 

I don't know what it is like to live in Russia.  And it is a sincere question: is 1,700,000 ruble a year job a good one in Russia?  Maybe programmers earn a ton of money there.  They don't make that much money here unless they are top-college or self-employed.

George

40 of 67

George, I will stop my discussion at this point.

I will resume my thoughts:

1) We are all working here via Upwork platform, therefore our working processes are regulated by Upwork terms.
2) The rate of every Employee  depends only upon Employee decision . (and this is right of the Employer to hire or not to hire him)
3) The project cost of the Employer is only only Employers decision (and this is right of the Employee to work or not with for such salary).

4) Economy, civil wars, exchange rates, gender, age, sexuality orientation, color of skin are not factors that should influence the rates or project costs.

Sincerely

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS