cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

With the Russian Ruble so weak, should their programmers be cheap?

George B Member Since: Jan 21, 2016
41 of 67

"... exchange rates ... are not factors that should influence the rates or project costs."

Fortunately for me, you are not the one making the rules.  Perhaps you could call the International Monetary Fund and get them to change that whole exchange rate thing.  Be sure to let them know that it has something to do with sexual orientation or something.

I will miss our converstations.

George

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
42 of 67

No rules have been broken.

Clients can hire contractors based on what country they're from or not from.

There is nothing wrong with that, aside from possibly working against one's own self-interest by limiting the potential candidate pool.

IULIIA A Member Since: Jun 14, 2010
43 of 67

Really? Do you mean that I wont increase salary to my Employee only because he is from India? because In India the worker should be happy with my 1-3 dollars per hour?

Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
44 of 67

@George B wrote:

I am confused.  What upwork rule have I violated?

George

Personally, I don't think you've violated any upwork rules...... 

Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
45 of 67

@George B wrote:

Offering someone 1,700,000 rubles a year to work from their house is a human rights violation?

Thanks for your thoughts Uliya.

George

hmmm... when you put it that way, that's only around 20,000 USD a year?  That's not much at all.  

and by the by George, are you looking for employees or freelancers? 

46 of 67

Yes.  I am looking for an employee.  

You are looking at $20,000 and accessing that in American terms.  But the question I want answered is what does a Russian think of that 1,700,000 as an annual earnings?

Gunta helpfully  posted a cost of living in Moscow calculator.

Estimate monthly expenses for a single person at 44,062.85руб (534.90$)

#ZR on Jan 05, 2016 :

After the crisis the real cost of things like renting an apartment is:

cost per 1 month
1 bedroom $250 / $600 (in center)
3 bedroom $500 / $900 (in center)

So, someone could live in the center of Moscow for $534.90+600.00 = $1,234.90 

I would pay $1,660.  I would imagine that living somewhere more rural would be cheaper.

So, really, if you can live in the center of Moscow for what I am willing to pay, can you really say that is not very much?

George

Ace Contributor
Gunta K Member Since: May 6, 2015
47 of 67
So, someone could live in the center of Moscow for $534.90+600.00 = $1,234.90 

I would pay $1,660.  I would imagine that living somewhere more rural would be cheaper.

George,

You are forgetting the taxes here! The freelancer also needs to pay taxes in his country.

Don't know about Moscow, but I couldn't live with 600$ a month (without rent, yes, but I'm guessing it still would include other utility bills) here. Well, maybe I could, but I would feel miserable doing so.

I suggest you visit Moscow on your next vacation, I'm sure you'll change your mind about this Smiley Wink

48 of 67

Gunta,

Do you live in Russia?

If so, why do you keep saying you could not live on so many dollars?

The figures I gave you are for rent and all monthly living expenses according the website you gave me.  And still, after all your living expenses are paid, you have a good amount of money left over.  This is for a Javascript job.  

This whole thing is just weird to me.  A good job where you can pay your way in the most expensive city in Russia, and I am a cheapscape who should feel bad that I am not paying enough.

I ask you again, assuming you live in Russia, would a Job making 1,700,000 a year (live where you want) be a good job?  The fact that that would put you in the top 5% of Russian wage earners for being an expert in Javascript?

I probably don't need the trouble anyway.  

Thanks,

George

Ace Contributor
Gunta K Member Since: May 6, 2015
49 of 67

Do you live in Russia?

No, I live in a neighbouring country.

If so, why do you keep saying you could not live on so many dollars?

Because I have to pay taxes. Normally 25-45% of what I make here. A quick Google search told me it's probably less in Russia. Lucky for them.

OK, let's take those 600$.

My utility bills (water, gas, electricity, phone, internet) for last month were about 300$. 

The living cost here is about the same as in every other western EU country.

That leaves me with 300$ a month. Is this a serious question? Really? 

50 of 67

Gunta,

They don't use dollars in Russia.  They use Rubles.  A dollar buys hugely more rubles today than it did 2 years ago.  2 years ago it would have taken 3 times as many dollars to buy things.  Dollars are more valuable now.

I understand that dollars aren't as valuable to you.  But your currency hasn't shrunk by 270%.  That is "holy cow" huge, tremendous, earth-shaking, mind-blowing.  Huge.  

If I went to Moscow three years ago and spent $3,000 on hotel and eating and shows.  Today, the EXACT same trip would cost me $1,000.  That is literally true. And all the businesses would make exactly the same amount of money they made when I spent the $3,000 3 years before.  The only thing different is that the dollar is worth more.

If the dollar is worth more, why would it not buy more programming?  If it were less, you can bet it would buy less programming.  That is just the way it is.  This is straight math.  Beginning economics.

George

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS