🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Wrongfully charged by Upwork
Page options
ba5ffd27
Community Member

Wrongfully charged by Upwork

Why was I just randomly charged by Upwork?

A bit frustrated at the moment.

I went to hire a freelancer but was rejected possibly due to insufficient funds, oops, no problem. I simply transferred money to the account.

However, a "Charge failed" error won't go away now and I cannot hire anyone. (see attachment)

Ok, I'll look elsewhere. But Upwork decided to charge my card (the same one that won't allow me to hire help) anyway.

It was for a small amount, but still. Who/How do I contact for this?

6 REPLIES 6
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jason, 

I checked your account and do not see any transaction on your transaction history. Are you able to confirm the amount that was charged on your billing method, and when it was charged so that I can use this as reference? 

~ Avery
Upwork
ba5ffd27
Community Member

I have screenshots and PayPal transaction to show this.
ba5ffd27
Community Member

You bet.

I will attach the email notification from PayPal charged by Upwork.

petra_r
Community Member

Jason H wrote:

You bet.

I will attach the email notification from PayPal charged by Upwork.

Those are verification charges. You need them to verify your credit card (although I have a feeling PayPal cards, not being "proper" credit cards, are not accepted as payment methods)

To verify the card, go to your billing methods and enter the two amounts (which add up to $ 10 and are both mentioned on the screenshot.)

Those $ 10 will be refunded to you automatically, so you don't need to worry about that, they are purely verification charges.

It is likely that the card won't be accepted as a billing method as it's (sort of) a prepaid card.

ba5ffd27
Community Member

It's a debit card I use everywhere, but understood.

Also, I didn't receive any notification that I need to verify the payment method in that way (something I have done before).

I will try this now. Thanks.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jason, 

Petra is correct. Your billing method was charged the verification charges, which you can read more about here. Once you have verified your billing method, you should be able to use it to pay freelancers for the services they rendered.

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths