cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your company is allowing freelancers to steal very easily. I can prove this on skype screen share

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
21 of 32

I got my first hourly last week, but if she had told me no manual hours, I would have declined. The only time I'll use the tracker is if it's for a large amount or I'm not quite getting a good vibe from the client.

Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
22 of 32

Yeah, I just don't apply to hourly jobs anymore. I don't like the time tracker. It drove me nuts when the thing would snap screenshots.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
23 of 32

@Cathleen C wrote:

1) But I would still like to know whether clients approve timesheets before they are paid. 2) Or when the job is set up, do clients enter a max amount of hours for the week? 3) It just seems like there should be some sort of check and balance for the cheating on time.

1) Clients do not approve timesheets (or work diaries.) They are charged up to the maximum number of hours they set when creating the contract. They are billed and charged on Monday for the hours logged the previous week, and can then dispute or not dispute them up to Friday night (midnight UTC)

Valid reasons for dispute on hourly contracts are

• manual time (automatic win of the dispute for the client for those)
  • non work related screenshots
  • low activity time segments / screenshots
  • no or insufficient work memo

NOT valid reasons for disputes on hourly contracts are

• low quality of work
  • missed deadlines
  • work that is faulty (such as a bad translation, or creating code that does not work)

Essentially on an hourly job you pay for the time someone is spent working on your project, NOT for an end result

2) Yes. Hours can belogged over theweekly limit,but are not automatically billed or charged.

3) There is, it's the 5 days the client can check and if need be dispute the work diary.

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
24 of 32

A client gets to specify the total number of hours per week he or she allows a freelancer to work on an hourly contract. It is calculated from Monday to Sunday.

Ace Contributor
Angela P Member Since: May 4, 2013
25 of 32

Yes, clients need to approve the time sheet(to a certain point - they are billed with the hours BUT they can argue/dispute the billed hours and the payment is on hold until it is solved). In this matter the oDesk, now UpWork system is much stricter than the Elance system. The freelancer does not get any payment until the time is approved. Also it takes up to 10 or 12 days (I can't remember for sure since I don't usually work on hourly jobs ... how can a designer work on hourly jobs?! I hate to be timed so I charge by project).
Also the person who has made this post is either full of hate and anger towards UpWork and the "X" freelancer or he does not think when he types. Just think about a little, you pay for creative work (either programming, design, writing, research, etc.) how can you expect that the hired freelancer uses the time counter to track only the time when he makes a stroke (let's say an illustrator) and after he makes the stroke he stops the counter and starts the counter again when he know exactly he will make the next dot ?!
How can you expect this?! Just go hire a robot or post fixed price projects or much cheaper: do it yourself if you know everything so well ... that you can estimate the number of keystrokes someone needs to do a certain job, that means you must be an expert - a legend in making that job.
That is why I hate hourly jobs and clients that say - this should take "x" time ... I never apply to this jobs! Never!!! Even if I apply to hourly paid jobs I mention in the application that I will work only on a fixed price understanding.

Community Guru
Cathleen C Member Since: Aug 17, 2015
26 of 32

Thanks for all the info on how hourly jobs work. So with all of that in mind, I don't see how a scenario such as the OP has described can even be accomplished. If a client sets up the job for 2 hours of work per week, then how can he/she get ripped off for 20 hours of work?

Angela A said: "Also the person who has made this post is either full of hate and anger towards UpWork and the "X" freelancer"

You might be right because the whole point of paying a percent to Upwork is for them to provide a safe haven for both the freelancer and the client. If somebody gets ripped off for that much money, then it seems like they aren't paying attention and doing their job on their side of things.

Ace Contributor
Tim H Member Since: Jul 7, 2015
27 of 32

Don't call me a liar I did it myself, saw it with my own two eyes. Possibly they've fixed the bug since. Talking about conspiracy theories? Really? 

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
28 of 32

Hi Cesar,

I am sorry you have had an unsuccessful experience with a freelancer. I went back to check your tickets regarding the contract you are referring to and saw that the freelancer was willing to cooperate and reach an agreement and Upwork Dispute team was expecting more details from you regarding the issue. They were not able to get a hold of you then, however. If you still need additional assistance with resolving the issues, please, update the Team with more details about the contract and the freelancer's work.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Maria Marilyn M Member Since: Oct 27, 2010
29 of 32

Why is that guy's account showing zero paid hours though? 

Donald H Member Since: May 15, 2018
30 of 32

Wow, slow down there tiger, seems like you came to Upwork expecting to find a sweatshop and instead landed on a platform with working professionals who know how to get their job done. 

I believe the issue here is ego and not work centered. Do you want to stand over your worker's shoulders and watch them type away so you can get excited and happy that work is getting done? The crux of the matter here is what kind of results you're looking for.  Depending on what work you gave the client, the way it gets done could change vastly.

Take me for example. Am a software developer, and trust me when I tell you this, my job success rate is almost entirely never dependent on how many keystrokes I type on the computer. The accurate measure is what goes on in my mind, behind the scenes. I could spend 3 hours sketching on paper, or fine-tuning an algorithm.  It could all be in my mind with no physical sign am working. I could do it while eating popcorn watching Netflix. All this is part of the process and could lead to your project getting done much faster.  It is a known fact that part of being a great software engineer is writing less code to achieve more.

So while you may be happy and excited that your freelancer is happily typing away and you're getting your money's worth, it may be more useful to pay a freelancer who uses more of the time to think and plan than execution. And yes I will charge you for the brain power spent planning on your project.

In summary, a bad workman blames his tools. Revise your workflow process and management tactics so your team can deliver what you desire, at a price you prefer and on time. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS