lrockwel

ability to measure and display a freelancers responsiveness

I would like to see UpWork incorporate some kind of measurement that gauges a freelancers responsiveness to job invitations.  I am so tired of seeing "Top Rated" freelancers with 100% job satisfaction that refuse to respond to job invitations.  

I have sent out invites and have waited days to weeks for freelancers to respond before finally withdrawing the invite.  And I am not inviting freelancers that do not meet the requirements of the job.  I take a  lot of time to go through the freelancers list and invite those that meet the requirements and/or have previous experience as it relates to the job posting.  I also make sure that the freelancer is "active" on upwork within the last few days to hours.

I post jobs as "invite-only" because I do not want to spend the time going through the onslaught of unqualified candidates who apply to all and any jobs posted regardless if they are qualified or meet the conditions of the job.

But as of now, I'm finding it just as frustrating dealing with ignored invitations from "qualified" candidates who obviously don't need or want the work.  It only takes a minute to respond with  a decline and "too busy"... but then change your settings to "not available" too!  Or respond with "not a fit" or whatever, but ignoring a job invite is a great indication of the type of response a client can expect from a freelancer when they are working for you as well.  This should be a measurement on their profile so as clients we can gauge whether we want to take a chance on a freelancer that doesn't even have the common courtesy to respond to job invites or change their profile settings, regardless of the quality of work they do!  

I need people who are team players and responsive.  Right now, I can not gauge that from their profile.  

Also please add the "last time they were active" to the freelancer's profile view.  I hate having to switch back and forth from their profile to the search results just to see when they were last active.  

30 REPLIES 30
yitwail

Lynn, nobody but Upwork knows exactly job success is calculated, but I doubt those who don't reply to your invites will have 100% scores for long. My job success is a mere 97%, but as you can see by this screenshot from my stats page, I reply to invitations without fail, and many other freelancers are that way, because even failing to respond within 24 hours counts against freelancers.

replied.jpg

I wish that were the case... but unfortunately it's not.  I am not going to publicly "out" anyone in this forum... but here are screenshots for two recent applicants I invited... and waited... and waited... where you can see they are listed as "Top Rated" and 100% Job Success.  

On this one... I waited for over 4 days for a response... got none, and withdrew the invite finally.

upwork-1.png

And here is another one... and this lovely... I waited over 18 days before withdrawing the invite.  Still active... still 100% Job Success, and still "Top Rated"... total BS!!!

upwork-2.png

So I think you are getting the short end of the stick, John.  😞

Lynn,

I doubt you not. And I have to correct myself when I claimed that freelancers who won't respond won't have 100% Job Success. There's 2 caveats: Job Success is *usually* updated every 2 weeks. AND, here's the important caveat, it's the Job Success computed over 6 months, 12 months, or 24 months, WHICHEVER IS THE HIGHEST. So a freelancer who built up an impressive Job Success over 24 months may have a ways to go before their score drops. But again as I tried to say earlier (but left out the word 'how'), only Upwork knows how it's computed.

Maybe you should look for this on the right side in the profiles.

response_time.png

Although you could miss some reliable freelancers, just because they are excluded from Upwork recommendations by a secret algorithm. In this case it is possible they had not enough invitations to calculate a reliable response time.

@Michael R wrote:

Maybe you should look for this on the right side in the profiles.

response_time.png

Is that from your actual profile? Because I don't see it on mine, even after I log out. Cat Sad

No, this is yours, John. I'm excluded from recommendations and received just 3 invitations in the past 90 days. (one matched to my skills) Smiley Sad

This is because Top Rated freelancer work for more then one job at a time as compared to new people.At times they even do not visit Upwork for weeks untill they finish the project and its ready to be submitted 🙂

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lynn,

Sorry about the confusion. Michael is correct, Responsiveness score is displayed on freelancers' profiles under the Availability section. This is a separate metric and it is not included in the Job Success score.

I hope this information will help you find quality freelancers.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria,

I have not seen that metric on any of the freelancers I've looked at.  So when and how is it calculated, because it obviously isn't being widely computed or posted to freelancers profiles.

Lynn

Lynn,

Have you considered that your job isn't attractive to the contractor?  I get a ton of job invites, and I decline most of them immediately.  Even if they are relevant, sometimes the rate is too low, or the description shows that the client is disorganized.  Sometimes fixed priced jobs are too risky because clients will demand more and more when it's not really in the job description.  Most of my declines are to mitigate loss and protect myself.

Regards,

Daniel

I agree that it is impolite to not respond to these private invites.

I always respond quickly, even if it is to decline.

I don't think the original poster should be angry at these individuals, though.

By defy, a contractor with 100% job success and thousands of hours is very busy.

But not responding quickly affects the contractor's Responsiveness Score, not Job Success score.

So the original poster should simply send job invited only to contractors with high responsiveness scores... Either that, or don't get upset when a contractor fails to respond.

Guess what?  the freelancers aren't the only ones who are "very busy".  I am a single person business owner and wearing many hats.  I am also vey busy!

Not only is it not polite to respond to invites, it's very unprofessional!  In the brick and motor world if you fail to respond to a potential employer not only will you not get that job, but you will never get a job with them, or anyone they know.  It's business etiquette 101!

If they are that "busy" then they need to change their availability!!!  Then, as clients, we know they aren't accepting new work.  Simple!  But maybe they are too busy for that also.

Btw Lynn, there's another problem that's affecting the way freelancers show their availability.

Upwork has provided us with horribly-phrased options to state our hours of availability - so most have to resort to "Less than 30 hours per week" when, in fact, they are available for less than 10. This is another one of Upwork's many terrible and unasked for changes.

Daniel,

Evidently you didn't read my post at all.  

I have no problem with a freelancer declining a job invite.  My issue is with freelancers that simply ignore the invite all together.  

Yes, by all means decline the invite if it is not a job that you are interested in, you are too busy with other jobs, or whatever.  But simply ignoring a job invite is totally unprofessional... and I'm seeing more and more of this.  That is my issue... not that my jobs are being declined.

Lynn

@Lynn R wrote:

Valeria,

I have not seen that metric on any of the freelancers I've looked at.  So when and how is it calculated, because it obviously isn't being widely computed or posted to freelancers profiles.

Lynn

You do know that the messaging system has not been working correctly for some time, right? Please refer to this link to get an idea of what freelancers are dealing with. There is a workaround for this but Upwork does not share it with freelancers or clients unfortunately. It may be affecting you as a client and the freelancers may have actually replied.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Clients/Can-t-read-any-messages/m-p/98609#U98609 
(opens in new page)

You do know that freelancers have complained of not receiving emails for invitations until days or weeks later, right?

As well, many top freelancers have left the site and rarely check in and I would seriously wonder if those "last active" numbers are correct given the mess of the algorithms on most things on this site.

The metric that Valeria referred to is not shown to clients. It is available to freelancers only. Why? No idea.

No I did not know this, thank you for letting me know.  It does not surprise me however... as there have been nothing but problems with upwork since the conversion.  It is a shame because it was a useful tool... however it is becoming more of a headache than a useful tool at this point - for both freelancer and client!

As far as the Responsiveness Metric being shown only to freelancers and not clients... that makes absolutely NO sense at all!! But again, with this horribly handled conversion it is no surprise.

I guess it's beyond time to look at another source for my freelancing needs!

Best to all!

Lynn

OK, can we focus on this for a second? I am confused.

Valeria wrote:

"Responsiveness score is displayed on freelancers' profiles under the Availability section."

Michael posted a screenshot where I can see exactly what Valeria describes in her answer.

But then Jean wrote:

"The metric (responsiveness score) that Valeria referred to is not shown to clients. It is available to freelancers only. Why? No idea."

And Lynn stated several times that she cannot see anything relating to response times on any of the profiles she looked at.

So, is Upwork making me reply to all  (mostly unsuitable) invites within 24 h - for a metric that isn't even being shown to clients?

I knew that it's not part of the JS calculation, so I am only doing this for clients. If they can't see it - why am I even bothering?

Availability

• Available
  • More than 30 hrs/week
  • 24 hrs response time

This is all I see but the Responsiviness Score I'm thinking of is the one on our Stats that only we see which of course we can't see right now due to things being bugged out again.

I see nothing on my profile as shown to the public that says "Responsiviness Score"

@Jean S wrote:

Availability

• Available
  • More than 30 hrs/week
  • 24 hrs response time

This is all I see but the Responsiviness Score I'm thinking of is the one on our Stats that only we see which of course we can't see right now due to things being bugged out again.

I see nothing on my profile as shown to the public that says "Responsiviness Score"

To me "24 hrs response time" is a display of the responsiveness score. 

I am glad it's showing. Thanks for the update.

The question is: why can't Lynn see that? Or can she?

I have not seen the "24 hrs response time" metric on any of the freelancers profiles I've visited.  Because if this was something that was being displayed to me and it was a lengthy response time, I would not have invited those freelancers to interview.

Here is what I see for "Availability" on Jean S.'s profile when I go to it.

Upwork-3.png

As you can see, there is no responsiveness metric... and I do NOT see the "24 hrs response time".   

So evidently Upwork is not displaying this to clients... which makes it totally useless!!!  Way to go Upwork!

Lynn

Lynn,

This option is displayed for clients as well as freelancers. Since you are unable to see the responsiveness score please open a ticket with CS. I will send your information to our team as well so that we can resolve your issue.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Lena

Untitled

Hi Lena, this is not an isolated issue that only affects Lynn. I can't see the responsiveness score on my client (nor freelancer) account either. Just like I can't see the total star rating on my client account (yet on my freelancer account I can). We fell victim to an A/B split test. 

Thanks Krisztina for letting us know. I will add your info as well.

Untitled

Please add mine to the list to because I can't see it - and somehow I'm pretty sure it's not just us 3.

Nope, you can add me too!

I have never seen responsiveness score on anyone’s profile. I never did understand why was “ last worked” removed from profiles.

I did find a workaround, by saving a profile it shows last worked date, but now they changed this to something really useless, if you save a profile it now only shows the date you saved the profile.Cat Frustrated

I'm so darn pitiful i don't even have a responsiveness score.. it says I need more invites to get a score and I reply as soon as I see one of my rare invites even though none of them have been suitable for me. I'd like some invites....Woman Sad and I'd like some jobs too of course. Cat Wink

fitzberg

Thats why you should open the job post to public instead. There are many good expertised qualified freelancers who are thirst of work but they just dont show on few first pages when you search them.

The robot "rotates" the freelancers so they will get equal exposure (they said)

People who apply to your job post are more sincere since they need the job, meanwhile the ones you invited, they dont expect new jobs so they may not really interested to even click on it, or they feel guilty when they have to press "DECLINE" so they just leave it like that 

nirish

My profile doesn't show a Responsiveness Time, I respond quite quickly. That would be a nice feature to have on my profile page. 

suznee

You have to respond to x amount of invites for a Responsiveness score to show in stats. I have none now as I have not had invites in weeks. Whereas I use to get quite a few and had a 24 hour responsiveness time, but since I don't have any invites I have no score. It disappears every two weeks or so if you don't get invites.

I also cannot see it on a page if someone should have oe.