🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: cancel contract before any work is done?
Page options
enigma2k
Community Member

cancel contract before any work is done?

Hi,

I have hired a freelancer who said during the interview he can do everything but now after I hired him I realized that he is having difficulty. He is obviously not the right choice. He hasn't began any work yet and no hours haven't been logged of course.

What happens in this case if I cancel the contract? I don't want to make him any problems with his job score and wouldn't rate him bad. He obviously did not read the job description thouroughly and is a good freelancer for other things.

Will there still be a rating if the freelancer hasn't even logged anything yet? so nothing was done.

6 REPLIES 6
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Stefan,

When a contract is closed both parties will be able to provide feedback for each other. You can provide a truthful feedback for your freelancer. However, if no funds are exchanged, the contract will not be listed on the freelancer profile. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

so if there haven't been any payments yet the feedback the freelancer and me are providing won't be listed at all? so it doesn't count to the score?

Hi Stefan,

In general, when a contract fails to lead to any earnings the freelancer JSS will be negatively impacted. Jobs that lack earnings and have positive outcomes will be excluded from their JSS. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

You can inform to freelancer , that your are going to close contract. After it you will write review to frealancer and freelancer can write review you. If you pai him some 1$ it will not hart to JSS as I know. Also you will be able to leave him private review, this also can make his JSS lower if you choose bad score. 

You are very good client. 🙂 Your freelancer is lucky. 

Regards, Lilit.

hasanmollick
Community Member

I hope you can't do it back. You must provide feedback.

A client may cancel a contract AT ANY TIME.

That is the right of any client hires a freelancer through Upwork.

A client SHOULD close or cancel a contract if the freelancer he hired isn't providing the freelancer with great value.

As long as SOME payment is made on the contract (at least one dollar), the fact that a contract is closed "early" will not have any negative impact on the freelancer.

If I hire a a freelancer and it turns out that the freelancer can't do the job, or doesn't have time to work on the job, then I will typically pay a $5 bonus so that the freelancer at least has been paid something. The short-lived contract won't have any negative impact on them.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths