cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change feedback

Geoff B Member Since: Sep 8, 2017
1 of 15

i paid for a freelancer, he deliverd the work, i gave excellent feedback then  the product stopped working then he started ignoring me then i realised I never got the source code i paid for. what do i do now?

Community Guru
Baris A Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
2 of 15

There is not much you can do about that. Contact Upwork support with details of your experience. They can apply some pressure on your ex-freelancer. He might respond to that or maybe he won't. After you release the payment that's all Upwork can do. This is really a very unlucky situation. The freelancer should correct his mistakes or if it is something wrong you did that caused the product to stop working, again he should check and tell you what you did wrong.

I wish you better luck next time. These providers are a minority, so please don't judge all freelancers depending on this unlucky experience.

3 of 15

Hi, thanks for your response , I have made contact with support so will see what happens. Im happy to be told that its something i did and there may be a charge to fix it. I dont belive that is the case as its simple and I havent changed anything but I am open to that. I just want what I originally thought I had. 

4 of 15

Also if i just ahd the source code i paid for I could walk away and pay someone to fix it.....otherwise I am left with starting again from scratch....and with positive feedback out there....that adds insult to injury....

Community Guru
Baris A Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
5 of 15

Hello again Geoff, please don't take anything written here personal. Take what you think is useful and move on. We just state facts. It is not about you as a person it is about the situation.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 15

Geoff:

Your contract with the freelancer is over. The only way for you to change feedback would be for you to communicate directly with the freelancer, ask him to click a button which would allow you to change feedback and actually convince him to do so. It is unlikely that he would do that. There is no logical reason for him to do so.

You are a kind person who is thinking of others, and I admire you for that, but I recommend that you treat this as a business situation and not take it personally. Forget about the feedback. You derive zero benefit from any effort to change that freelancer's feedback.

To move forward with the project, you should decide whether you want to try to hire the original freelancer to make changes for you, hire somebody else to do further development on it, or do nothing if it is okay as it stands now.

Community Guru
7 of 15

We are only hearing a few scant details from one side of this.

Clearly the client had no ongoing contract with the freelancer to provide support for the source code he delivered.

Perhaps the freelancer delivered shoddy product that did not truly deserve the high praise the client gave it in feèdback. Perhaps it was inevitable that it stop working soon after delivery.

Perhaps the freelancer is a consummate professional who delivered source code and product which, had things been fair, should have cost the client three times what he paid for it. Perhaps the client took actions after he began using it which defied all logic and caused the product to stop working.

We don't know.

Is the freelancer ignoring the client now because the freelancer is a jerk who does not stand by his work? Or is he avoiding the client because the client is asking the freelancer to do free work, which is a violation of Upwork TOS?

We don't know.

8 of 15

Hi Thanks for your reply. Yes sure you have only heardone side....I too would like to hear the other side. i just want what I paid for. It was a simple job, but not an area i have expertise, I was told that there was aftersales service and i didnt have to pay until i was  happy. I could not know it would simply stop working. I ahve other work i need doing, would have continued with this freelancer had he deliverd. I base decisions on feedback so dont like mine sitting out there when it is now not the way I now feel. 

I can give as much detail here as you want and of course the freelancer can comment too.....

Want do you want me to do to show I have a genuine complaint?

Community Guru
9 of 15

re: "Also if i just ahd the source code i paid for I could walk away and pay someone to fix it.....otherwise I am left with starting again from scratch"

I am not sure I understand.

Often when we say "I did not receive what I paid for," it means that we are disappointed with the quailty of what was delivered to us.

But there are things about what you have said that make me wonder if the freelancer did not even send you the source code.

Can you tell us what happened, (a) or (b):

a) The freelancer sent me all of the source code files, but my system is not working as expected now, and and I feel that the source code he sent may have some problem in it, which is why it isn't working.

[or]

b) The freelancer never sent me any source code files. I do not have access to the source code at all. The only thing I have is a compiled program which now no longer works.

[or]

(something else?)

Community Guru
10 of 15

I do not yet know exactly what happened here, but let me point out a few general concepts:

If this was an hourly contract, then ALL source code files and work files produced by the freelancer belong to the client. Period. It is not the freelancer's choice to not send source code files. Those files don't belong to the freelancer.

If this was a fixed-price contract, it was unprofessional for the freelancer to not send the source code files. If the freelancer somehow set up a contract which didn't stipulate providing the source code files, and then used that as an excuse to not provide those files, then this was simply wrong of him to do that.

(I say this without actually knowing yet if the freelancer provided the source code files.)

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS