🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: data format in reports
Page options
account-direct
Community Member

data format in reports

Hello,

When I try to download transaction history, the date is shown as May 13, 2009 which I cannot change in Excel as it is a text field. Can I change the date style in Upwork for reports like transaction history?

7 REPLIES 7
account-direct
Community Member

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

When I download file in csv, it does not let me change the date format by going to Formate cell. I intend to upload the file to my accounting software haibooks.com but they do not support upwork date format. 

Regards,

Hi Shams,

Could you please share what you see on your end when you select the Format Cells option and select the format you prefer? I'm able to edit it on my end so just trying to check if this might be related to a different root cause, possibly in Excel settings or similar.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Shams,

I'm not completely sure about the downloading process you're using so feel free to send me a pm with a screenshot and a bit more information in order to make sure we're providing correct information. In the meantime, could you please try and let me know if you're able to edit the date field in Excel after downloading the statements in CSV format?

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hello,

I have sent you a pm but unable to attache CSV. 

I have uploaded a screen shot of what I am doing.

Regards, 

Hi Shams,

Thanks for the pm, I shared with you a step I believe you should take and which will help in accessing the format options.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hi Shams,

The problem is not so much that this is a text field, but that (with standard UK regional settings) Excel doesn't recognise that as a date format, so doesn't convert it to a date serial number.

If you don't yet have a solution, here's one option. Temporarily change your Windows regional date/time settings to "English (United States)". Then, when you open the CSV file in Excel, Excel should recognise the date as a date, and convert it to a date serial number.

Hi Vladimir,

If you have a better solution than mine, could you please post it here, as I'd like to know it too.

If not, perhaps Upwork could switch to using a date format that works in both US and UK. For example, I believe that "d MMMM yyyy" will work in both (as far as Excel is concerned).

Thanks for sharing the advise Richard, I'm sure it'll be helpful for Shams to follow the steps you outlined in case he's still experiencing this issue. I don't have a better solution unfortunately for this problem, since it's related to specific Excel settings, but will share your feedback and experience with the team.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths