cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

do u trust Manual Tracking hours reported on UW? Showing 12:30 hours for ONE day!

David M Member Since: Jun 25, 2016
1 of 9

We are trying to make sense of Upwork invoices, which appears to be strange.  They are showing 12:30 horus for ONE day which does NOT make sense.  By developers admission he works a lot of hours (10 may be), but Upwork is reporting 12:30 hours.

I suspect we can dispute that; but would that jeoporsize the deverlopers reputaiton?  I am not sure.

Thank you for your help.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
2 of 9

Manual tracking, that is logging and billing hours manually, without of the use of the tracker, means trust. If there is a deficit in trust, then you should not allow manual hours and have the developer use the tracker.

But whether you allow manual hours or not, you need to check the work. It's a developer, so there is source code.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 9

Each client makes his own decision regarding whether or not to allow a freelancer to use manually logged time, or to disallow it.

It's your choice.

You may also choose how many hours per week a freelancer may work. Anywhere from just 1 hour to unlimited.

Manual hours are not protected. If a client wants to, he can dispute manual hours and Upwork will remove them, so that they are not billed to the client.

Doing this should not hurt the freelancer's reputation in any way. It simply means that the freelancer is not paid for that time.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 9

I don't work with the tracker so it's either manual or sod off.

IF they are trying to meet a deadline or something 12 hours isn't crazy if they are trying to cram. I've been cramming most of my hours into 2-3 days lately unless I have extra hours and then I'm stuck working Fridays boo.

David M Member Since: Jun 25, 2016
5 of 9

thanks folks for the guidance and feedback.  Specially from folks who don't use the tracker.  I have asked the developer to stop it cause it was becming a full time job for us.   It's counter-intuitive and doesn't make sense that thay many hours are being billed per day!

So, we are going Commando as weill and will NOT use the built-in-tracker.  I also had no idea that UW, holds on to the money for 6 days before paying the developer!  That's a lot of Interest Income on more than $28M of billings that I had read was being billed through ODesk (now part of Upwork)!!  

Add that to the fees on both side, I think they should offer us dental care at these rates.  8Smiley Embarassed

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
6 of 9

Turn off manual time and limit the hours.  Review the work and then if you trust the work is being done, enable manual time again. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
7 of 9

@David M wrote:

thanks folks for the guidance and feedback.  Specially from folks who don't use the tracker.  I have asked the developer to stop it cause it was becming a full time job for us.   It's counter-intuitive and doesn't make sense that thay many hours are being billed per day!

So, we are going Commando as weill and will NOT use the built-in-tracker.  I also had no idea that UW, holds on to the money for 6 days before paying the developer!  That's a lot of Interest Income on more than $28M of billings that I had read was being billed through ODesk (now part of Upwork)!!  

Add that to the fees on both side, I think they should offer us dental care at these rates.  8Smiley Embarassed

Upwork does not make interest on funds that are in the security hold or in escrow.

The client only pays a fee for payment processing, which covers the cost of processing the payments only. Many clients can choose a flat $25/month payment processing fee.

Regarding your original question, like others have said it comes down to trust. All my freelancers on hourly contracts have unlimited weekly hours and manual time enabled. I hardly ever look at work diaries or question manual hours. In fact, I can only recall one time that I questioned manual hours, and that was because I forgot that I had given that freelancer a large task to complete.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
8 of 9

@Jennifer D wrote:
All my freelancers on hourly contracts have unlimited weekly hours and manual time enabled. 

Jennifer, your freelancers are very fortunate to have you for a client. I didn't even know it was possible to have unlimited weekly hours, not that I'd ever want or ask for it.

9 of 9

Hi David,

I'd encourage you to review the hours your freelancer logged as explained here and check if all segments are related to your job. I'd also strongly advise you not to forgo on using the Desktop app and set a weekly limit on your contract if you're unsure about the time your freelancer is logging. You can read more about Upwork Hourly Payment Protection in this Help article.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS