🐈
» Forums » Clients » .... does not currently have access to Upwork...
Page options
houmanka
Community Member

.... does not currently have access to Upwork and will not receive messages until access is restored

Hi Team,

I am not asking this as a freelancer. I supply work most of the time, mostly longterm work for different client of mine for the past 3 years. In one of my recent job ads, one of the Freelancer whom seemed to be a good talent suddenly got withdrawn from the application, I saw .... does not currently have access to Upwork and will not receive messages until access is restored  In the chat

I wonder if it was my fault. I always supply the project in a Test GitLab Repo and Trello for all the brief, charts and tasks. Then I ask candidates to get the project on their machine, read the code and see if they can do it.

I ask them to supply me with 1 highlevel paragraph on a solution `no code` is needed and `no details` needed.

I sometimes give them a sample response too:

I would approach this problem by requesting the GraphQL mutation and analyse and cache the result....

Now what lib thye would use or how they structre the call or how they cache it is the details that I don't need for awarding the job.

Could that developer got into trouble because I asked for his GitLab and Trello ID? 

The other devs who applied and gave me their GitLab and Trello ID and responsed to the project not being banned from the project and I haven't gotten any notice though.

I just don't want to be the cause of this. Please let me know if my approach is ok or if I need to change it on how I would ask dev to evaluate the code before commit to the project.

4 REPLIES 4
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Houman, 

It's very likely that the user's account is on hold and the team is investigating it further. If there are issues that are related to you, the team will reach out to request clarification. 

Our team will not be able to share information about another user's account to comply with our privacy policy. In the meantime, you may want to check other freelancers who have sent their proposals to your job post. 

~ Avery
Upwork
houmanka
Community Member

Thanks, I have been evaluating other candidtates however this developer who has been withdrawn from the project would have had a good chance.

I need to award this project by tomorrow the latest. He even made me a video of his previous work on the fly  just to show me his ability in that certain tech that I am after.

He is a Rising talent and hasn't earn anything, I am just worried that he is going to miss his chance that is all. 

It is just sad that UpWork shoots first then asks the question. (very old school) - a simple AI could solve this problem.

It would have been better to raise the flag with the team, then they investigate and if there was an issue take a more dramatic action not the other way around.

Anwyay, thank you for your response.

Houman K wrote:

Thanks, I have been evaluating other candidtates however this developer who has been withdrawn from the project would have had a good chance.

I need to award this project by tomorrow the latest. He even made me a video of his previous work on the fly  just to show me his ability in that certain tech that I am after.

He is a Rising talent and hasn't earn anything, I am just worried that he is going to miss his chance that is all. 

It is just sad that UpWork shoots first then asks the question. (very old school) - a simple AI could solve this problem.

It would have been better to raise the flag with the team, then they investigate and if there was an issue take a more dramatic action not the other way around.

Anwyay, thank you for your response.

Houman, 

Sometimes our accounts get suspended until we have completed Upwork's verification process, which is mandatory. And then there are times when one has to wait for the verification to be approved. The freelancer you are interested in may well be back very soon. 

re: "I need to award this project by tomorrow the latest."

As a client, if I have work that needs to be done quickly, then of course I hire in a different way than if there is no particular deadline.

If there is a problem with one freelancer's account, naturally I don't try to figure out what the problem is, and I don't try to help that freelancer out or anything. I just hire other people.

Realistically speaking, ANY time there is a tight deadline, a client needs to do one of the following:

- Only work with a freelancer who the client has worked with many times in the past, and the client knows for certain that the freelancer can deliver the needed work on time

[or]

- Hire multiple freelancers, "hedging her bets." Each job niche and pay level has a statistically predictable "failure rate." Hre enough freelancers to make sure that the needed work will be obtained on time, which may mean hiring 3 or 4 or more people. The number of people a client hires will also vary depending on the importance of the task and how tight the deadline is.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths