🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: *edited* devs
Page options
dmwdsprimealpha
Community Member

*edited* devs

I have found that in hiriing that there are too many **edited for Community Guidelines**
on the platform that are at reasonable fee's, but compared to code quality and timeframe i have constantly gotten outragious timeframe to complete like 30 days to 2-3 months for a  a simple plugin , or 20,000 dollars to build a product add-on for woocoemrce.

Compared to **edited for Community Guidelines** are way better reaonable fee's and time frame is way shorter- i believe the **edited for Community Guidelines** use the hourly to max out hours and extort clients. i think upworks should bring back text for quality of code , as there are too many devs who can't code not are unable to understant the job posts.

14 REPLIES 14
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to learn about your experience on, Upwork, Daniel. If you need help short listing freelancers for your project, let us know so that we can connect you to our Talent Solutions Team. 

I would also like to note that I had to edit your post as it violates the Community Guidelines. As a gentle reminder, please be mindful of the Community Guidelines when posting in the Community. 

~ Avery
Upwork

you edited out the country ? this was to compare the developers and quality of developers from certain countries! how does that violate guidlines!  It show how certain devs from certain countires scam and misuse upworks- **edited for Community Guidelines** i would be very careful It is the duty of clients to display the incompetence of devs It is also the Job of Upworks to protect clients from develoeprs that abuse the hourly time. and are incompetent and don't follow instruction to the T or do other jobs on the timer taht are not discribed in the contract.

**edited for Community Guidelines**

i am not discrimating against a race of people It was opinion of the abuse going on by a set of individuals from that country compared to the quality of honest and capable developers whome have the skill set from two other countries.

Hi Daniel, 

I'm sorry to learn that you are disappointed that I have edited your posts. However, please note that posting insults, disruptive, and hostile, and disparaging comments is against the Community Guidelines. These Guidelines are in place to help us maintain professional and productive Community and we expect members to respect and follow them. 

If you would like to share your negative experience about your previous freelancers, you have the opportunity to leave an appropriate feedback for each freelancer when you close your contract with them. This feedback will be displayed on the freelancer's Work History, and will be a good indicator if the freelancer is fit for other clients or not. 

I checked your account and it looks like you are referring to a recent dispute on one of your contracts. If you need further assistance about this dispute, let us know, and our team can look into this further. If you are referring to other experiences with your past freelancers, you can share the Contract IDs here, so that we can check this for you. 

~ Avery
Upwork
dr-ian-paul
Community Member

Yeah, I went through 93 different upwork "developers" before I found one competant one who could actually speak english and knew what I was talking about with the diagrams I gave them.  It is quiet sad that these people call themselves developers when most don't have the basic education to be able to develop code.  Let alone over charging for the concepts. 

A rule of thumb.  It should only cost ~$200 per 500 lines of code.  Checking with the coded work is the best way to keep track.  IF a person is a real developer, it shouldn't take time for them to "research" to get the code from free ware websites like Github.  I laughed so hard and literally cursed out many of them that had the audacity to try to tell me that their work took 20+ hours and they gave me one web page template.  They didn't think that I knew how to code.  So they quickly gave my back the money.

Hi Dr Ian, 

I'm sorry to learn about your experience on Upwork. I checked your account and I do not see any client account in this account where you are posting from. Are you referring to a different account, or a company team member may have hired these freelancers? You can share the Contract IDs of the contracts you are referring to so that our team can look into this further.

~ Avery
Upwork

I got rid of that business account a long time ago.  For the reason of the fake professionals I was running into.  We tried a few times.  2016 and in 2017.  But ketp running into the same people over seas presenting themselves as professionals, but not able to speak clearly or understand anything we were saying and not able to build basic coding outlines.  Before we closed the account, I found one man who did the job and we hired him directly in company now, proud of that choice as well.

Dr Ian P wrote:

Yeah, I went through 93 different upwork "developers" before I found one competant one who could actually speak english and knew what I was talking about with the diagrams I gave them.

A rule of thumb.  It should only cost ~$200 per 500 lines of code.  

You must have wasted an awful lot of your own time on the 92 incompetent developers. Wouldn't it have been more economical to pay a professional rate, and get a professional developer who would get it right first time? Just a thought.

I typed a whole message and then upwork wanted to give me an Auth failed.  

It's bascially like this.  Coding is not hard once you have the basics done.  All software and user programs all have auto fills.  Back in 2003, when I first started coding on Windows 95.  There was no auto filling words or coding anywhere.  Everything was hand written and nothing could be checked until it was launched and tested.  You were running blind.  What took us, 1 week to do back then with all the different server options, CS, JS, PHP, Data base setups etc.  Litterally takes a few hours today.

Professionals in developed nations are absolute crap.  They are like Construction workers.  Telling you they can do this job, for this cost, then in this time frame.  Then you catch them sitting on their bum all the time "on break".  Fresh grads are also lacking basic work ethic or understanding how to work hard for what they get.  They think a Bachelors and a 2.8gpa means they deserve a 90,000 a year job, right out of school.  With no experience and they need 2 months off per year.  lol . 

While those who are good coders, live in the code and understand how it all works.  They are passionate and love doing it.  If you present them with a fun cool project that has growth, they will jump on it faster than flies on your picnic.  The US dev said 80,000 and 3 months to build my project.  I laughed him out the office and told him to get lost.  The Fun loving person I met from here.  Understood everything within a few diagrams.  Did a  prototype within 16 hours (4 days) . Then was able to full prototype other systems within 2 weeks.  And under 5,000.   THAT is because he knew how to code and he didn't have to work when it really was basic stuff that I was needing.  I just didn't have time to learn the Google coding and API formats when I have businesses to run and manage.

But yeah, rule of thumb still sticks.  $200 per 500 lines of code.  If they take more than 1 hours to write 500 lines, then walk away.  Charge more?  Then they better be able to get out 2,000 - 3,000 lines of code a day. (6-7 hours)

dr-ian-paul
Community Member

This is exaclty what I am talking about.  Absolutly ridiculous concepts.  As I was saying, $200, per 500 lines is more than reasonable for any coder who knows how to code.  They should be able to do 500 lines per hour.  AT LEAST.
They are really ripping people off on upwork and over charging for basic things, which makes real developers look back.  I needed to build a ecommerce site from wordpress a while back.  Just didn't have time to do it myself.  Went through several people on other freelance sites.  Got crazy offers.  From $500- $10,000.  Yet I know Wordpress puglins . (were free at the time).  So all I really needed was a template and someone to use a importer wtih the excel sheets from the distributor.  5,000 line items etc.  I finally just got Irritated with the baffoon offers and did it myself.  Spent 3-4 hours.  Bought the server, got the hosting, domain name, set up the SQL, set up wordpress.  Got hte loings for moderators and customer service members set up.  Set up the Paypal API.  Shipping taxes etc.  Importer.  Uploaded.   Spent $80 all together, with a template.  

It's like being in construction for 30 years.  Then want to hire someone to fix a gutter that slipping, they come over and say.  Oh no, the roof is sagging, the gutter can't be fixed unless we fix the roof.  It's going to be 8,000.   *goes to home depot, buys new extension ladder, 5 ft of soffit and flashing and screws.  Fixes within 20 mins*.  Lasts 10 years for the fix.  lol . 

The observation made here by Daniel and Dr Ian are all helpful.

They have taken their own time and initiative to provide first-hand accounts of their own experiences.

It does not matter if I personally agree or disagree with every sentiment expressed in this thread. These posts represent authentic viewpoints from actual Upwork users.

I imagine they realize the risk inherent in offering their perspectives here. "Shoot the messenger" is always a potential response. If they have questions or want to seek advice, maybe they can do so in separate threads. Otherwise, their posts can be left as something to consider.

Preston H wrote:

The observation made here by Daniel and Dr Ian are all helpful.

Are they, it is not entirely clear how it is helpful to me, care to explain?

I imagine they realize the risk inherent in offering their perspectives here. "Shoot the messenger" is always a potential response. If they have questions or want to seek advice, maybe they can do so in separate threads. Otherwise, their posts can be left as something to consider.

Anyone who posts here is likely to get shot as a messenger, why should they be any different? 

I am pretty sure anyone responding back is also likely to get shot as a messenger.  For example, one of them is talking about LOC, which is and has been always has been a ridiculous metric, encouraging exactly the wrong thing.   Is that shooting the messenger,  stating my opinion, or trying to give good advice?  

I think you are suggesting because they are clients we should just let them rant here and not bother to respond, am I wrong?

re: "I think you are suggesting because they are clients we should just let them rant here and not bother to respond, am I wrong?"

No, not because they are clients. But because this is not a thread about seeking advice. It is a thread about sharing certain experiences and perspectives.

You asked how this thread can be helpful to you. I did say that it was helpful to you. But it can be helpful to Upwork.

Here is undeniable evidence that not all Upwork client have a positive experience, and here are specifics about why. Are the ways that Upwork can improve in order to increase client satisfaction? Are there ways that its messaging can be improved? Or its operations? Its recommendations to clients? These are worthwhile discussions which can only be enhanced be the inclusion of additional viewpoints.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hello All,

A few replies have been removed from this thread because they were either off topic or in violation of the Community Guidelines.

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths