cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*edited* devs

Dr Ian P Member Since: Aug 4, 2019
11 of 15

This is exaclty what I am talking about.  Absolutly ridiculous concepts.  As I was saying, $200, per 500 lines is more than reasonable for any coder who knows how to code.  They should be able to do 500 lines per hour.  AT LEAST.
They are really ripping people off on upwork and over charging for basic things, which makes real developers look back.  I needed to build a ecommerce site from wordpress a while back.  Just didn't have time to do it myself.  Went through several people on other freelance sites.  Got crazy offers.  From $500- $10,000.  Yet I know Wordpress puglins . (were free at the time).  So all I really needed was a template and someone to use a importer wtih the excel sheets from the distributor.  5,000 line items etc.  I finally just got Irritated with the baffoon offers and did it myself.  Spent 3-4 hours.  Bought the server, got the hosting, domain name, set up the SQL, set up wordpress.  Got hte loings for moderators and customer service members set up.  Set up the Paypal API.  Shipping taxes etc.  Importer.  Uploaded.   Spent $80 all together, with a template.  

It's like being in construction for 30 years.  Then want to hire someone to fix a gutter that slipping, they come over and say.  Oh no, the roof is sagging, the gutter can't be fixed unless we fix the roof.  It's going to be 8,000.   *goes to home depot, buys new extension ladder, 5 ft of soffit and flashing and screws.  Fixes within 20 mins*.  Lasts 10 years for the fix.  lol . 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
12 of 15

The observation made here by Daniel and Dr Ian are all helpful.

They have taken their own time and initiative to provide first-hand accounts of their own experiences.

It does not matter if I personally agree or disagree with every sentiment expressed in this thread. These posts represent authentic viewpoints from actual Upwork users.

I imagine they realize the risk inherent in offering their perspectives here. "Shoot the messenger" is always a potential response. If they have questions or want to seek advice, maybe they can do so in separate threads. Otherwise, their posts can be left as something to consider.

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
13 of 15

Preston H wrote:

The observation made here by Daniel and Dr Ian are all helpful.

Are they, it is not entirely clear how it is helpful to me, care to explain?

I imagine they realize the risk inherent in offering their perspectives here. "Shoot the messenger" is always a potential response. If they have questions or want to seek advice, maybe they can do so in separate threads. Otherwise, their posts can be left as something to consider.

Anyone who posts here is likely to get shot as a messenger, why should they be any different? 

I am pretty sure anyone responding back is also likely to get shot as a messenger.  For example, one of them is talking about LOC, which is and has been always has been a ridiculous metric, encouraging exactly the wrong thing.   Is that shooting the messenger,  stating my opinion, or trying to give good advice?  

I think you are suggesting because they are clients we should just let them rant here and not bother to respond, am I wrong?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
14 of 15

re: "I think you are suggesting because they are clients we should just let them rant here and not bother to respond, am I wrong?"

No, not because they are clients. But because this is not a thread about seeking advice. It is a thread about sharing certain experiences and perspectives.

You asked how this thread can be helpful to you. I did say that it was helpful to you. But it can be helpful to Upwork.

Here is undeniable evidence that not all Upwork client have a positive experience, and here are specifics about why. Are the ways that Upwork can improve in order to increase client satisfaction? Are there ways that its messaging can be improved? Or its operations? Its recommendations to clients? These are worthwhile discussions which can only be enhanced be the inclusion of additional viewpoints.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
15 of 15

Hello All,

A few replies have been removed from this thread because they were either off topic or in violation of the Community Guidelines.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS