🐈
» Forums » Clients » file a complaint
Page options
3a0bf52e
Community Member

file a complaint

What is the process in filing a complaint?

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

Fred:
If you are a client, then do you have a complaint about the way the Upwork system works?

Or do you have a complaint about a freelancer?

If you have a complaint about the Upwork system, the best way to file a complaint is to create a thread right here in this Community Forum and describe what your frustration is, and perhaps offer some suggestions about how the Upwork system can be improved

If your complaint is about a freelancer, then you may use the "Flag as inappropriate" link button in the top right hand corner fo the freelancer's profile page to file a complaint about specific topics.

But for the most part, clients who are disappointed by freelancers don't file complaints... they just fire the freelancer.

For example, here is one hypothetical client's experience:
"I am a busy client. I need a virtual assistant who is available pretty much around the clock, especially when we are preparing end-of-quarter reports. Yesterday was Sunday, and I needed my virtual assistant to compile a T-39 report at around 10:00 p.m. I messaged the freelancer, and never heard back from her until this morning."

Well... this is a serious issue. This freelancer really let the client down. The client COULD file a complaint. But such a complaint would probably yield no results. The freelancer did not actually violate any Upwork ToS. So what the client really should do is hire one or multiple freelancers who really will adhere to the schedule that she needs them to adhere to. And once the client finds those people and has them trained, she should fire the disappointing freelancer.

She can do all of this on her own. She doesn't need to rely on Upwork customer support or file a complaint.

Thanks,
I am a client and the complaint is about a freelancer. If no one ever complains the problems never get solved.

This person was very unprofessional and reflected poorly on your company. I’m sure she will continue to disappoint others.

She was also verdictive and made emotional comments on our Google Business account which can be clearly seen as out of the norm in how we honor customer service as a company.

Sad but needs to be reported.
Fred 

**Edited for community guidelines**

Fred:
Thank you for clarifying what it is that you want to file a complaint about.

On Upwork, clients hire freelancers using contracts. When a contract is over, the client may leave truthful feedback about the freelancer's performance.

That is the most meaningful way that you can "file a complaint." When you leave feedback... It shows up RIGHT ON THE FREELANCER'S public profile page.

If you file a complaint with Upwork Customer Support... where does that complaint go?
Maybe nowhere.

If the complaint is about a serious violation of Upwork ToS ("this freelancer asked to be paid directly instead of through the Upwork platform")... then such a complaint could result in the freelancer being REMOVED FROM THE PLATFORM.

But if a complaint is about the freelancer's performance ("this freelancer takes two hours to complete T-39 reports, instead of doing them in just one hour like other members of my team")... Well... I agree that the freelancer is very unprofessional. But to be honest, that complaint isn't going to do anything.

I'm sorry that the freelancer you hired was verdictive and emotional. But to be blunt, Upwork may not do anything about that, because being verdictive and emotional are not explicit violations of Upwork ToS. So your complaint may end up in the circular file.

Honestly, if was me, and I was disappointed by a freelancer in the way that you were, I would probably fire her rather than simply filing a complaint and keeping her on my team.

speech-acts-27-638.jpg

unfortunate
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Fred,

We're sorry to hear you've had issues with a freelancer you communicated to on Upwork. If you'd like to report a freelancer you interviewed for a violation of Upwork TOS, the best way to do it, would be to either flag their profile or a specific message as described in this help article.

Please, note that in order to be able to pay a freelancer, manage the project, and have access to Upwork Payment Protection, you need to hire them and have an active contract in place. Please, check out this help article for more information on how to sent an offer and set up a contract.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths