🐈
» Forums » Clients » first use of upwork, should I pay even if the...
Page options
1a36cd93
Community Member

first use of upwork, should I pay even if the hourly job is not done

Hello,

This is my first usage of upwork.

I hired a freelancer for a job estimated for 500 euros (100euros/hour), so 5 hours.

at the end of 5 hours, will be charged automatically even if the job is not done ?

Regards.

5 REPLIES 5
NikolaS

Hi Chama,

I would be happy to help. Please know that your freelancer will log hours in their Work Diary, and you'll receive one invoice per freelancer each week for your hourly contracts on Upwork. Here’s how it works:

• Every Monday, we’ll invoice you for the previous week's hours based on your freelancer’s Work Diary
  • Your default billing method will be charged automatically for the balance due
  • If you need to file a dispute, you must do so before Friday of the week you received the invoice

Learn more about the timing of the billing cycle here. Feel free to check this help article for more information about paying freelancers for Hourly contracts. Let us know if you have further questions. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
1a36cd93
Community Member

Hello, Thank you for your answer.

this is the first time I use upwork.

The freelancer logged 5 hours for this job, and uploaded not understandable screenshots which have nothing to do with the requested job.

5 hours was consumed and no job is done.

Now, he didn't answer to my messages, and he refuses to schedule any meetings. 

for me, it will cost  500 euros, which is a huge amount of money for nothing.

How can I protect myself ?

Can I stuck the payment ?

Please could you tell me what is the right procedure to refund me or to stuck the payment ? 

I'm waiting for your answer.

Thank you in advance.

Hi Chama,

Thank you for following up. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
1a36cd93
Community Member

Thank for your quick answers.

But, I have no aswer when I go to the suggested page (maybe, it is normal and it takes time ?) 

and also, I have no possibility to write or add information in the suggested page.

Thank you in advance, (sorry, this os my first job and usage of this website). 

best regards. 

re: "How can I protect myself?"

That's easy!

All you need to do is this:

When you officially hire the freelaner, click on the "maximum number of hours" dropdown, choose "other" and change the number of hours to 1 hour.

Then tell the freelancer (in messages) that you will give the freelancer as much time as he needs, but you set the limit to 1 hour temporarily. Tell him to submit his work after 1 hour so that you can review it, and if he is on the right track, you will add more time.

This way, the freelancer can only log 1 hour of time.

After he does that, and submits his work, if you love his work, add an hour.

After he submits the new work done after that new hour, if you love that new work, then add 2 hours.

He will work for 2 more hours and submit his work.

If you love the work that he is doing for you, then add 4 more hours. Etc.

If, at any time, you decide that you don't like his work, then stop paying him money.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths