🐈
» Forums » Clients » freelancer can't request a 2nd milestone unti...
Page options
13pass
Community Member

freelancer can't request a 2nd milestone until the first is done.

Hi,

I have hired a freelancer and we agreed on a fix amount for one task (let's call it A), the money for this task has been escrowed by upwork. Now I want to add another task (let's call it B) so I have created a new milestone for B. We agreed to have task B finished before going for task A, but the freelancer is not able to request this milestone B to be done.

So my question is how can I make milestone B to be requetable by the freelancer without updating milestone A which is not finish and won't be before milestone B?

Thanks.

Vincent

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tta192
Community Member

Just create a different project for Task B and you'll be able to manage them independently, you're not limited to having just one contract with a freelancer at a time. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Vincent,

Unfortunately at the moment you won`t be able to release the funds from the second milestone until the first one is finished. Once the first milestone is finished you will be able to fund the second one and your freelancer will be able to submit their work for this task. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

@Goran V wrote:

Hi Vincent,

Unfortunately at the moment you won`t be able to release the funds from the second milestone until the first one is finished. Once the first milestone is finished you will be able to fund the second one and your freelancer will be able to submit their work for this task. Thank you.

So, what is the best thing to do in this situation? It's not unheard of--especially when working with inexperienced clients--to embark on a project and then discover that a crucial piece of preliminary or foundational work hasn't been done yet. The FL and client agree on scope/timing/budget for that, and add it to the project. But it has to be done first, before the rest can be done.

Administratively, what is the most efficient way to proceed? Can the client delete the first milestone and then add it back as a new second milestone? If not, does there have to be a whole new contract? If that is the case, how should the first contract be disposed of in a way that doesn't penalize the FL's JSS? 

It would be great if UW could provide us with clear steps. Thanks in advance!

@Phyllis G wrote:

It would be great if UW could provide us with clear steps. Thanks in advance!

It would be great if Upwork could just allow clients and freelancers to agree on the funding and on the release of any milestone in any order. Period. At this point, there are not even workarounds.

Here's a true concrete: you have a multi-part job. You release the part one and the client has to spend some time to review your work. You cannot safely work on par two because if the next milestone wasn't funded initially, the client cannot fund it without releasing the previous one.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
versailles
Community Member

The ability to release any funded milestone in any order is a feature that has been requested for years. 

When users ask for useful features that would have a real impact, Upwork almost consistently answers with silence. This one is no exception.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

I agree with Sir Rene , In my case I'm working in my Milestone 10 , the deadline for that is Feb 15 , But my client request to have another milestone 11,12,13,14 It really simple task unlike the Milestone 10 . I already finish those milestone but I can't submit the reports on the last 4 task , and I'm worried because the deasdline was Jan. although I submitted it to my client on time , but not in "milestone submission".

mtngigi
Community Member

@Vincent H wrote:

Hi,

I have hired a freelancer and we agreed on a fix amount for one task (let's call it A), the money for this task has been escrowed by upwork. Now I want to add another task (let's call it B) so I have created a new milestone for B. We agreed to have task B finished before going for task A, but the freelancer is not able to request this milestone B to be done.

So my question is how can I make milestone B to be requetable by the freelancer without updating milestone A which is not finish and won't be before milestone B?

Thanks.

Vincent

Vincent,

The milestone descriptions are only between you and your freelancers, so it doesn't really matter what the deliverable was on the first milestone. Just agree with the freelancer that the order of the project has been changed, so that they're actually working on "B". Then release milestone "A" (but really "B"), and then set up the second milestone(s) accordingly.

Rene is correct that we have been asking/begging for improvements on this system for years, and our requests fall on deaf ears.

tta192
Community Member

Just create a different project for Task B and you'll be able to manage them independently, you're not limited to having just one contract with a freelancer at a time. 

13pass
Community Member

Hello Andrei,

Thank you for your answer, yes that's what I thought I would need to do in last resort.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths