cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

freelancer pretending to be some one else (india for European)

Highlighted
Peter R Member Since: Mar 3, 2017
1 of 29

More an more I discover that freelancers from India are pretending to be European. Who has experiences in this. Because work quality and progress as well as understaning is very bad. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Reem H Member Since: Feb 8, 2017
2 of 29
that doesn't necessarily mean they are indian, bad freelancers come from everywhere.
However, I think you can tell if their location is false when you compare the time to their stated location.

just check what country they're from, google the time of that country and see if it matches the time on their profile.
Maybe someone has a better method, but this is the one I know so far.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
3 of 29

@Peter R wrote:

More an more I discover that freelancers from India are pretending to be European. Who has experiences in this. Because work quality and progress as well as understaning is very bad. 

If a profile looks appealing, schedule a call with the freelancer through the Upwork's vocal feature. You'll find out if they are who they claim they are.

India is a big country. Indians are top quality freelancers but they are sunken with desperate people from their own country, who try to earn few $. Among those, some are even totally dishonest.

Some clients avoid hiring from some countries for this reason.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
4 of 29
This widget could not be displayed.

@Peter R wrote:

There are also very good freelancers from India. Yes, their are clients and freelancers on Upwork who provide false information about their location. However, I think this more affects the US than Europe.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 29

@Peter R wrote:

More an more I discover that freelancers from ******** are pretending to be European.

Are you sure?

Generally fakes from South of the Himalaya pretend to be in the USA, North of the Himalaya pretend to be in Europe....

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
6 of 29

Hi Peter, 

If you come across freelancers who misrepresent their location, you can forward this to our support team, or report it to any moderators via a private message so that we can look into it further.

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 29

It IS a big problem. I don't blame clients for being frustrated by this. The overwhelming majority of these clients don't actually care where the freelancer is from. They simply want to know who they're dealing with. They want to feel like the freelancer persona isn't a total fabrication.

Highlighted
Peter R Member Since: Mar 3, 2017
8 of 29

I have been looking on the web to find a way to report this. In the mean time I have lost $ 2.800 and got a refund for the last work because I was in time to block te payment. The freelancer is now stalking me with messages taht he cannot dop any work anymore on UPWORK. I have requested several times, for either an ID from Luxembourg, a utillity bill or a picture behind his PC. Frequently I have asked for conversations on your platform, skype even by mobile phone. Reply' are like microphone broken, not in the house, etc. By the way of communication (sentences, reply's questions I can after a while tell if you are european or not. It is essential for us to hire europeans as they understand the culture that is in Europe. 

I think platforms like this SHOULD CHECK Facebook accounts, linkedin accounts, bankaccounts, paypal accounts, etc as THIS IS YOUR QUALITY. If I as a client can not trust a system like yours than your complete systems will be damaged by these frauds. If you want the name of the freelancer it is ** Edited** I can also post the complete Skype chat, about his wife having an accident, son no food, etc While having a skype ICON of two female children? 

What is UPWORK going to do about this? As I can throw away the complete project?

And this is not the first time: My fiorst encounter was een Indian guy pretending he was a developer in Florida!

I am Dutch I can fly and go everywhere in the world and we do... there is no country we need a VISA for that takes weeks. When the freelancer told me he was from luxembourg I just drive there (3 hours drive) but he did not give me adres. A simple proof of origin bulld in by UPWORK would eliminate this enormous frustration. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
9 of 29

@Peter R wrote:

(...) I have requested several times, for either an ID from Luxembourg, a utillity bill or a picture behind his PC. (...)

You don't do that. What you do when in doubt, is to ask for an audio/video call before hiring them. If they refuse, or don't seem to cooperate, you don't hire them.

You don't check their identity or drive to Luxembourg. You speak with them before hiring them.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Maciej R Member Since: Feb 10, 2017
10 of 29

I believe it's your responsibility to filter your potential candidates. I'm a graphic designer myself and If you would ask me to provie my ID or any personal information or data I would refuse since it's just shouting SCAM. Even if you don't have bad intentions you need to think how would you respond to that kind of request?

One of the best ways to make sure you are hiring the right person is to visit their profiles, ask for links to their social media platforms like linkedin, twitter, facebook, private portfolio page. You can request voice call like someone else suggested and if non of these are provided and you are still willing to cooperate with that individual then you are making a bad decision knowing exactly what's going to happen.

You are motivated by price? It looks cheaper to pay $20 instead of $100 but is it worth you hassle to deal with all this nonsense afterwards? People who charge more usually have a good reason for that, you're not paying just for a finished product, you're paying for peace of mind, professionalism and responisiveness, it's the whole package.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS