🐈
» Forums » Clients » freelancer relation
Page options
654ed287
Community Member

freelancer relation

HI, i am trying to find out which information can the freelancer see about me as client (person who posts the project). Also, one of the freelancer keep asking me my personal email, is it fair of him to do so as i am not comfortable sharing it? thanks

12 REPLIES 12
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Tanuj,

When you post a job freelancer can view only the following information: Country, Is your payment method verified or not, How many jobs you have posted and what is the average hourly rate you have paid. Once you start communicating with them additionally they will only be able to view your name.

Freelancers can ask you for your email for a number of reasons, but you can keep your communication on Upwork only as well and share all files in your message room.

If you have any additional questions feel free to post them here, thank you!

~ Goran
Upwork
versailles
Community Member

Here is what we see:

Client.jpg

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
whitekn3
Community Member

If your not comfortable sharing it, don't.    I try to do as much as possible within Upwork, because I have had a client try to scam me (Upwork paid me when their credit card bounced.)  Upwork does not want you to do anything outside of their system.  They are paranoid over it.  But their system does not work in some situations.

Sometimes there are good reasons why you need someone's email address outside of Upwork. 

For example, when the project is a team of people they may need to communicate with others who are not on Upwork.   This is almost always true on larger projects.  It is rarely true on small ones.  Another factor is I have had Upwork drop messages.  I sometimes send a "followup" email when I submit work to make certain it made it to the client.   I have also found it  valuable to use my phone instead of the Upwork "Voice calls".  I am in a rural area where the internet service is horrible.  Voice and video are very poor over the internet where I live.  

Great thanks. Very helpful indeed

654ed287
Community Member

Thank you all for very helpful replies. Cheers

Well Upwork won't tell them anything, but once you start communicating with him he can see your name and if he is tech savvy and you have digital foot-print in cyberspace he can find out stuff about you. 

I do that all the time.  Why?  I want to know if this dude or dudette is going to pay me or not.

@Prashant P wrote:

I do that all the time.  Why?  I want to know if this dude or dudette is going to pay me or not.

How do you know they won't pay you? From the name they entered when they created their client account?

And if they have a non-paying name, whatever this means, how will they manage to not pay you?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

You also have the option of setting up a free email acount - gmail or the like - to use for communicating with the freelancer.  The Upwork platform can be unstable from time to time and for that reason, I always use email to communicate with my clients.

I think Tanuj wants to remain anonymous. 

A non i mouse - a non e rat. 

millermelanie
Community Member

I often get my client's email as a back-up, since the Upwork site goes down or has issues, periodically. I only use their personal email for professional communication as needed. I've never known a client to be reluctant to give it to me; in fact, they usually volunteer it without my even asking.

I generally, want their e-mail after contract has been set thorugh Upwork.  I I am not particulary fond of the messaging system, its format, its ability to print the entire thread, blah blah blah.

I always get client contact info and they have mine. 

1. It is more reliable

2. It is far faster

3. I copy everything to the workroom as both precaution and for backup

4. Client isn't faced with having to log into system unless he/she opts to

Neither party has ever abused the other's privacy.  Not once in more than a decade of freelancing.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths