🐈
» Forums » Clients » give a bonus without hiring a freelance
Page options
lalbini
Community Member

give a bonus without hiring a freelance

Hello, 

it might sounds complicate from the title but it is not..

I'm interviewing some candidates for our job application,

one freelance in particular has been really helpful during the interview, he gave us demonstrations about his job, we spent almost an hour in skype, 

now we don't know yet if he will be the right one, we'd like to interview other freelancers first but we'd like to give him a bonus without hiring him, is that possible?

if yes can you describe this asction step by step please?

thank you very much!

10 REPLIES 10
prestonhunter
Community Member

No, you can not give him a bonus without hiring him.
But you CAN create a specific fixed-price job for the dollar amount you wish to send him, and send it to him as a private invite, let him accept it, then you pay the contract amount immediately and close the contract.
This works well and is not an unusual thing to do.

Do not add a bonus to the payment, because the whole contract IS the bonus, and you can indicate that fact (or not) in the contract title or milestone description.

Be sure to close the contract (and not create a new milestone or leave contract open) after you pay him.

Wonderful, Thank you Preston!!!

I'll do that, if I'll have some problems I will come back to you 😉 for more help, ok?

thanks again

Preston's participation in this thread has a hidden agenda. 

re: "Preston's participation in this thread has a hidden agenda."

Um... Okay.
I'm flattered to be thought capable of Machiavellian complexity. But I'm clearly missing something.
abdulrazaq89
Community Member

Hello Laura, 

Only hired your freelancer with the fixed price project equal to the bonus amount that you are going to pay. 

Best Regards

Abdulrazaq

dijatul
Community Member

Hi,

Preston is right

Is it permissible under Upwork rules to work for a client (with a subsisting contract) who is not willing to initiate or activate an existing contract but wants to leverage it to send new jobs and payments in the form of a bonus, weekly, monthly, or daily? 

James:
You can do pretty much anything you want, as long as:

a) it is physically possible using the exising Upwork user interface

b) it does not violate any Upwork ToS

So I would say the answer to your question is: Yes.

But it is important to understand that in order for a client to pay a freelancer, there needs to be an official Upwork contract. And it is important to understand that all exchanges of money off-platform are strictly forbidden.

999bf62f
Community Member

I want to hire a freelancer for my **Edited for Community Guidelines** for getting off page services and here is my question.Can I give a bonus without hiring a freelance because he is very intelligent and deserving at this time. 

Hi Archer,

Bonus payments can only be sent within a contract. You can learn how to send an offer here

~Andrea
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths