🐈
» Forums » Clients » got ripped off
Page options
daf90f07
Community Member

got ripped off

got completely ripped off, i hired a freelancer for a  fixed price to build a web site for my biz. The site is not even close to be done and freelancer has closed contract without discussing anything wiht me, but he received money for the complete work. the freelancer based on reviewes is reputable and experienced, however what he has done is VERY basic things. I am extremely disapointed. 

5 REPLIES 5
pudingstudio
Community Member

Olga D wrote:

got completely ripped off, i hired a freelancer for a  fixed price to build a web site for my biz. The site is not even close to be done and freelancer has closed contract without discussing anything wiht me, but he received money for the complete work. the freelancer based on reviewes is reputable and experienced, however what he has done is VERY basic things. I am extremely disapointed. 

Have you raised concerns about the issue with your freelancer?

For a freelancer to be payed for a fixed price contract, they have to wait 14 days. 14 for a client to raise their concerns.

Were you absent during that time?

If you were, do you feel for a person who's done a thing and not get a word about it?

Please accept that I'm ONLY asking questions. I'm NOT trying to be accusatory.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Olga:

Not ever freelancer/client pairing is meant to be.

It is entirely possible that this freelancer's reviews reflect genuinely satisfied, impressed clients, but those are clients whose needs differ from yours.

This is a website for your business. This is an important project.

It is unreasonable to expect that hiring only one freelancer is a route guaranteed to provide you with what you need.

Hire multiple freelancers to do small tasks for the website, and continue only with the freelancers whose work impresses you the most.

So that we can better help you move forward and figure out what to do next, please answer the following questions:

- How many milestones were in this contract?

- How much total money did you pay to this freelancer?

- Was there an initial advance payment, or only milestone payments that were made after milestone(s) were submitted?

I differ in opinion.  My path is to hire specific individuals for specific projects and not divide up the work. Though both methods will surely bring positive results when engaged with best practices.

I then invest the time to get to know the freelancer both prior to project acceptance and throughout the delivery cycle.  In projects of key importance: I have two, three, sometimes four short video conference calls a week to maintain healthy communication and ensure the freelancer has everything they need to succeed. 

Then, I hold a single freelancer responsible for project delivery success and make it clear: if there is a problem, I want to know now, not later, because later has downstream results that will not be pleasant.

John.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Olga, 

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. I can see that the freelancer issued a refund to your account, and the refund was issued on 4-March. You should be able to see this reflect in your account within 5 business days, and in your Transaction History (Reports > Transactions) noted as "Credit." Let me know if you need further help so that I can assist you further.

~ Avery
Upwork
versailles
Community Member

Olga D wrote:

It's always better to split a job in more than one milestone to avoid this. Each milestone equals one deliverable (source code included).

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Latest Articles
Learning Paths