🐈
» Forums » Clients » help to write a good project brief
Page options
jeff777
Community Member

help to write a good project brief

Hi there,

I've posted THREE jobs recently and only 1 was successfully replied to.  So I'm either...

• Drafting a poor Project Brief
  • Not offering enough payment

Is there a service on UpWorks that a senior Project Manager can help (for a small fee) to draft a good Project brief and set an appropriate budget so that it will get some solid responses from FreeLancers.

Cheers

Jeff Miles

Australia

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mtngigi
Community Member

Jeff,

I don't know if Upwork offers that service, but I do know there are many good project management freelancers. Perhaps do a search and hire one to help you out?

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
mtngigi
Community Member

Jeff,

I don't know if Upwork offers that service, but I do know there are many good project management freelancers. Perhaps do a search and hire one to help you out?

jeff777
Community Member

Virginia,

That make a great deal os sense.  Why didn't I think of that - Dah.

Cheers and all the best

Jeff Miles

Australia

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jeff,

We have a dedicated team who is helping new clients with posting jobs and inviting suitable freelancers to submit proposals on their jobs. I'll ask someone from the team to follow up with you directly, advise regarding your job post descriptions and help with receiving more proposals.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Jeff,

I have no idea of what you need done but there are a few "must have" items for an effective RFP.

1. As much info as you can share about the project.  

An example:  if you need a website written, providers need to know the THEME of the your product / service.  If you're selling a diet fad vs. a specialized employment agency this needs to be stated.  Different providers respond to RFPs that interest them and they know they can bring value to.

2. If possible, include the number of pages you think are needed for the website.  It is fine to link to a template you like and/or to a current website you want to update, emulate the format of, etc.

3. Estimated length and breathe of the project.

Examples: If a buyer wants a book edited, providers need to know content theme, number of words in the manuscript, and, if possible, what type of editing is required.  If the latter point seems confusing, the best work around is "this is the first edit" or "this is the final review and edit before putting the book on Amazon."

4. Graphics - from logos to icons to illustrations > artists need the same info as writers, editors, and translators.

5. Website design and build - back to #1 in my list.  If you are wanting to set up an ecommerce site, you need a shopping cart and assorted backend tools that a marketing/branding only site doesn't require.

6. Pricing and delivery date: If you are unsure about pricing - say so.  Plug in a number to keep the system happy but write in your RFP that the $ is a placeholder only.  

Providers will submit an estimate of cost based on info you've provided. Professional providers - the only kind you want - will include wording to the effect of "my quote is an estimate. Should you want to discuss your project, I will submit a binding quote upon a more thorough discussion of your exact needs."

Hope this helps somewhat.

Hello Vladimir, 

I'm in a similar situation, is it possible to get in touch with someone form this team?

Thank you

Hi Michael,

I'll forward your request to them.

Additionally, please check out our resources for writing great job descriptions:

Writing a Job Description to Find a Great Android Developer

Writing a Job Description to Find a Great iOS Developer

How to Write the Perfect Brief For a Mobile App Development Project

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi, Upwork team.

I have submitted many proposals on Upwork. But only one of them is submitted. And the client doesn't respond to it. Please help me with children's book illustration bidding ways. so, I also can win order on Upwork. Thank you

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ria, 

I don't have tips to share on your specific job category, but you may want to check out the articles below to help you create proposals that stand out: 

I hope this helps. Good luck!

~ Avery
Upwork
filip_s
Community Member

Everything that Wendy said, plus TAGS.

Make sure you add relevant tags to your job post, posting it in the right category alone is not enough.

I've noticed job posts that are several days old and are relatively easy and simple jobs, yet have less than 5 proposals, simply because they didn't have any tags. Most often I don't even see these jobs in the job feed, but stumble upon them in the similar job links under another job.

If you're not getting proposals it's because people aren't seeing it. There are single line "Need some XXX done" job posts that get 50 proposals in only a few hours, so while a well written RFP may influence the quality of freelancers that apply, quantity seems to be driven by visibility alone. 

essa_alroc
Community Member

Honestly Jeff, the main reason I won't apply for a job is that the pay is insulting. It doesn't matter to me if the job poster doesn't provide a few paragraphs of details or isn't even that clear. If I feel the client has a fair budget, I will at the very least, reach out to them. 

Look up industry averages for what you're seeking. The most common reasons I see clients unable to get freelancers is budget. They say "I can't get anyone good," I say "how much were you offering?" and when they tell me, the budget always makes me flinch. 

'Upwork' doesn't mean 'discount'. Google what your job should cost before you set a budget.  Otherwise, nio one will take you seriously. I know whenever someone sends me a job invite to a job that pays $50 and requires 50,000 words I don't respond. I just block them. 

For most types of work, I believe the more successful strategy for posting jobs is to categories them as hourly instead of fixed-price.

When you post an hourly job, you do not need to specify a budget. And prospective freelancers can assume that you will be willing to pay their posted hourly rate.

I disagree with you, Preston. I prefer fixed price projects, because I tend to worry about taking too long on an hourly based job and this makes me stress. But this is the way I am....

I don't answer job offers that are too vague, for translation, for example, I like to know the number of words, the deadline and to be able to see the document to judge whether I feel at ease with the topic and the vocabulary used.

I respond to invitations to interview all the time and ask questions...it only costs me a few moments of my time.

When it comes to jobs I need to put in a bid for...I prefer something that gives me a clearer picture of what the client wants. When I have connects to throw away, however, I may apply to anything that tickles my fancy *AND ask questions*

Something like 'budget' does not deter me (I bid what I believe it is worth) unless the client specifically stats X is all he is willing to pay. In this case, where X is not par for the course, I go "roll over...roll over..."

At the moment, though, I am a little swamped, so have the not available thing going.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths