cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: how to add someone to a contract

Marshall T Member Since: Apr 11, 2016
1 of 11

I started to create a Job, but had already relized i know the freelancer I need to hire.  I quickly chaged it to "hire" that person now.  BUT, my problem now is that I want to add addtional freelancers to that Contract.  I can't, for the life of me, find how to do that!!

Do I have to create a new Job and then choose how many people I want to work on it then invite those people to that Job?  What if one of the freelancers accepts... doesn't the jobe then move to a contract and I'm back where I started?

This seemed to be pretty straightfoward on Elance.  So, how do I add someone to a contract?  I want more than one person working on it!!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ace Contributor
Katherine V Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
2 of 11

You have to hire each person you want to work on a job and give them each their own contracts.

Just go to the freelancer's profile, click the Hire Now button (below the green Invite button), then choose the same job you want them to work on. Rinse and repeat for every additional freelancer you want to work on that job.

3 of 11

You see, this is the problem...

Its not listed as a "Job" anymore.... Since I used the option to Directly Hire a freelancer when i was etting up a job, it directly hired someone I already knew! (from Elance).

Now, its not listed as a job. Its listed as a Contract.  There are no options now to hire anymore people to this contract.  Which I find very frustrating and ridiculous. 

Any other ideas?  I guess i ahve to cancel the contract with this person and go create a new Job just so I can add people.  Sad Day!

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 11

Hi Marshall,

I am sorry you find the process frustrating. On Upwork each freelancer will have to have an individual contract in order to do work and be paid. That being said, if you posted a job and plan to hire multiple freelancers, you can select that post as a "Related Job Listing" when you send offers to freelancers.

Screenshot_2.png

~ Valeria
Untitled
5 of 11

I just finished a lengthy back and forth Chat with Upwork.  This is what I found out:

First, they didn't even know that when you create a contract, by chosing "Hire Now", instead of creating a job, that you couldn't add someone to it.

Second, to clear that first comment up... You have to create a Job and NOT choose "hire" someone now, then later you can actually add more than ONE person to that job.

I have asked that they add the option that if you choose to make a contract with one person, you can later add more people to that contract.  We shall see if it happens.

Anway, thank you all, and hope this helps someone out in the futre.

PS: one more comment... You can not add someone (as menteioned in Valerie's post) IF the posting is a "contract" it has to be a "Job" posting.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
6 of 11

Hi Marshall,

Since your job post is still open, you can invite other freelancers to submit their proposals either from their profile page or from the search results page. You can also refer to this Help article. If you want to hire some of the freelancers who have already applied to your job, you can follow the steps outlined in this Help article

Please check this Help article and visit our Hiring Headquarters, where you'll find all the information and best practice advice designed to help guide you through the hiring process on Upwork.

Let me know if you have any questions.

7 of 11

Vladimir,  Please see my response above...  Exactly the same issue!

8 of 11

And, since time has passed, I'll reply again... to my own post.   I'm not trying to add someone again to a "contract" and still can not do so!

To be clear, my Jobs convert to Contracts once I hire someone therefore I can not add anyone to a contract.

Please fix this!

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
9 of 11

Hi Marshall,

I am sorry about the confusion. It's not possible to have one contract with more than one freelancer on Upwork. When you send an offer to the freelancer and they accept it, the contract is only between you and that freelancer. 

If you posted a job post, then you will be able to send multiple offers to multiple freelancers related to that job listing. See the screenshot I shared in my previous post. Once those freelancers accept your offers, separate contracts will be created with each of them.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Evan H Member Since: Apr 11, 2019
10 of 11

Hello -- I have a similar issue. I have a job in progress, and we need to bring in another freelancer to help with one part of it. How can I add them to the job (or just to the chatroom), so they can join the conversation and we can collaborate on the project?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS