🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: how to ask for compensation beyond repaym...
Page options
956e1095
Community Member

how to ask for compensation beyond repayment.

Hi, I had a problem with a freelance.

I commissioned an update of a Magento CMS to a freelance, after providing all the data and having recommended several times to pay attention and do everything possible to avoid problems (backup etc ...) we had the unpleasant surprise of seeing the server go down.

Irretrievably.

The freelance has changed permissions on ALL the system and not just 1 folder. 

Several sites were running on the server including an active ecommerce. we were stopped for several weeks and only now are we managing to recover the site.

the others have been lost.

Backups also have different permissions and owners and are unusable.

Thousands of dollars lost. All for an error due to imprudence and easygoing.

I end the contract and I find that I can't leave feedback because the money has been rebuilt to me.

How do I get justice and compensation for damages?

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Herman,

I'm sorry about the bad experience you had. Our team will reach out to you directly and assist you further with any of your concerns and questions. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

Herman:

I undestand that all of the money you paid was refunded, so your net payment to the freelancer was zero.

But before the refund, how much money in total had you paid to the freelancer?

Where does the freelancer live?

Where do you live?

tlsanders
Community Member

As a business person, if you want to be able to collect damages for problems arising in the conduct of a contract, the way to go is typically to address those possibilities in your contract. Not having done that, you could possibly file a negligence suit against the freelancer. IF you're in the same jurisdiction and IF the freelancer either has insurance or has significant resources and IF you are able to prove both that his actions were negligent and that they were the cause of your losses and IF you can prove the amount of damages and IF you made reasonable efforts to mitigate those damages and can demonstrate it, you MIGHT be able to recover damages.

In this context, though, it seems kind of unlikely that all of those things are true.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths