cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to ask questions to freelancers before hiring

Darren V Member Since: Oct 1, 2017
1 of 6

Hi everyone,

I can't seem to locate a chat/question area where I can ask a question to a freelancer before hiring them? e.g. I want to know if they have experience with some of the software we use? Or what software they will use if we hire them. Totally legit - just want to make sure I hire the best.

Community Guru
Lanie M Member Since: Jun 24, 2015
2 of 6

Hi Darren,

To begin an interview message thread with an applicant:

1. Click the Jobs tab. Locate the job you want in your Open Jobs and click View Applicants in the Actions menu.
  2. Click the Send Message button to contact the freelancer.

Once you complete this process, the applicant is moved automatically to your Messaged section for further review. Your message thread will embed in the proposal view.

From this point, you can continue communicating through Upwork Messages or exchange contact information and take the interview to another medium, such as email, chat, or telephone.

Lanie M
Untitled
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 6

re: "just want to make sure I hire the best."

It is good to know how to talk to freelancers BEFORE hiring them..

The moderator explained how to do that.

But you can not know which is the best unless you hire multiple freelancers and see how they work out after they have been hired.

A general breakdown of numbers for a hypothetical project that is of some importance and is expected to require many hours of work would be this:

- post a job posting

- get 20 applications

- interview the 10 candidates that appear to be the best fit

- hire 4 applicants who seem best after the interview; give them small identical assignments

- continue working only with the 1 or 2 who demonstrate the most value after they were hired

If the project is small and the quality or cost does not really matter, it is fine to hire only one freelancer. The larger or more important a project is, the more important it becomes to hire multiple freelancers so that you can compare them and find the best one or ones from among them. There is no way to do that purely through interviewing them.

Joseph P Member Since: Jan 3, 2019
4 of 6

How do you ask questions once you have invited a particular freelancer. I cannot find how to communicate with the freelancer once invited. 

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
5 of 6

Hi Joseph, 

Once the freelancers you invited has accepted your invitation, you should be able to send a message to these freelancers by following the steps below: 

• Click the Jobs tab. Locate the job you want in your Open Jobs and click View Proposals in the Actions menu
    • Accepted invitations move to the All Proposals & Messaged sections
    • Declined invitation move to the Archived section

-Avery
Untitled
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
6 of 6

@Darren V wrote:

Hi everyone,

I can't seem to locate a chat/question area where I can ask a question to a freelancer before hiring them? e.g. I want to know if they have experience with some of the software we use? Or what software they will use if we hire them. Totally legit - just want to make sure I hire the best.

Darren,

Despite Preston's take - it is most certainly not necessary to hire multiple freelancers to find the right freelancer - but it's advice he loves to give.

Spend a little time doing your due diligence, and you won't have to weed through 20 freelancers to find the right person for your job. Look at profiles and feedback, send job invites to profiles that interest you. Once a freelancer responds to your invite, a message room between you and the freelancer will open up. At that point you are in the "interview" stage and are under no obligation to hire.

Take this opportunity to discuss the project in full and from there it should be reasonably easy to see if the freelancer will be a good fit for your project.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS