🐈
» Forums » Clients » how to make partial payment of job
Page options
9ef09448
Community Member

how to make partial payment of job

Hi,

I have a job twithout milestones but would like to pay the freelancer part of the payment eg 70% because she has done most of the stated requirements but has not finished

How do i make partial payment? I only see the "Pay now" button and i am concern that if i click that, i will be paying the freelancer in full.

Kindly advice.

Thank you

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Todd, 

This article will help you with your question. You can check this section - "To release a partial milestone amount for work not submitted through the Upwork platform" under the drop-down menu "Release less than the full amount." Hopefully, you can release the partial payment to the freelancer without any issues. 

If you go through any issues, don't hesitate to come back here or to contact the Customer Support Team directly so that they can assist you further.

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
bobafett999
Community Member

That is very nice of you to pay for what she deserves (many clients ask the question how can I NOT pay).  I don't know the client side interface.  I had read somewhere that once you click pay now, you are presented with an option to make partial payment.

prestonhunter
Community Member

It is easy to release partial payment.

Navigate to the contract listing.

Click on the "three dots" icon if necessary.

Choose the option from the contextual/dropdown menu to "close" or "cancel" or "end" the contract.

It may look like you will be releasing all of the money. But that is simply because the interface is a little bit confusing. Go ahead and proceed, and you will be shown a screen where you can EDIT the amount of money you release.

You may CHANGE the amount of money to 70% or any amount. If you change the amount to less than 100%, then the freelancer will automatically be sent a request to accept the "refund request."

You have already discussed this with the freelancer beforehand, so she knows to expect this. She will quickly accept the "refund request," which means that she will receive 70% of the payment, and the remaining 30% will automatically go back to you.

Thanks, Does that mean i have to set up a new job for the remaining 30%

re: "Does that mean i have to set up a new job for the remaining 30%"

You can pay any percent at any time as long as the freelancer agrees to refund the remaining percentage.

You are NOT required to pay the remaining 30% ever.

But if you WANT to pay the remaining 30%, you may do so using a bonus payment or by creating a new job.

If you want to pay 70% now but keep the contract open, that is different from what I advised, but that is also possiable.

bobafett999
Community Member

Todd I have flagged your post.  Hopefully, the mods will give more accurate answer.

Preston I believe he wants to make partial payment in ADVANCE.  Not just pay 70%

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Todd, 

This article will help you with your question. You can check this section - "To release a partial milestone amount for work not submitted through the Upwork platform" under the drop-down menu "Release less than the full amount." Hopefully, you can release the partial payment to the freelancer without any issues. 

If you go through any issues, don't hesitate to come back here or to contact the Customer Support Team directly so that they can assist you further.

~ Avery
Upwork
9ef09448
Community Member

Thanks Avery,

can i still do this if original job wasnt set up with milestones..? or will it add the milestone to the additional contract..?

yofazza
Community Member

I wanted to ask when I read this:

I have a job twithout milestones but would like to pay the freelancer part of the payment eg 70%

If it's a job without milestone then it's an hourly job? Then how's the 70% calculated?

And anyways, I don't think "partial payment" is meant to be done on hourly job.

You can give bonuses, but remember this is outside what's you're currently paying automatically if you're on an hourly job.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths