64735afc

how to pay a freelancer upon completion of a project?

I'm paying a few freelancers piecemeal, a fixed price for a completed assignment.  I posted a job, put money in escrow,......how do I now release the money out of escrow so the freelancer gets paid?

5 REPLIES 5
aocumen

Hi Ilene, 

Your freelancers will have to submit work via the milestone-submission page on their freelancer account, and request to be paid for the work done. When they do so, you will be alerted that your freelancers has submitted work for review. When everything is in order, you may pay your freelancers, or request for changes on the work they submitted.

If you do not reply to them within 14-days from the time they submitted work, the money in escrow will automatically go to your freelancers. 

~ Avery
Upwork
cupidmedia

You can also just hit the "pay now" button on their contract on your "my jobs" page, if you've received the work and are happy with it but the freelancer hasn't formally submitted it. But it's generally better for everyone for the "correct" process to be followed (as explained by Avery) as that keeps a formal record of what was submitted and what was paid for.

(Note that you should never release escrow until you have received the required deliverable for the milestone and have reviewed it and are happy with the result.)

does hitting pay now relase the escrow money or the requested amount by the freelancer?

Hi Nick, 

Yes. It will release the amount in escrow to the freelancer's account. You may read up on the client section of the resources we have compiled to help you get started on Upwork as a client. Let us know if you have other questions!

~ Avery
Upwork

@Nick S wrote:

does hitting pay now relase the escrow money or the requested amount by the freelancer?

You can edit the amount on the next step.

If the freelancer requested more than the amount in Escrow, approving this will take the funds from Escrow and charge the extra to your payment method on file.

If the freelancer requested less than the amount in Escrow it will release what has been requested (unless you edit it, in which case it will release what you edited it to) and keep the remainder in Escrow, so you need to set up the next milestone, which will be funded from the money in Escrow (if there is enough.)