Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to send a message to a freelancer?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Deborah C Member Since: Oct 29, 2012
1 of 33
Hi everybody, I am trying to contact a freelancer but I am not able to send him a normal message through the odesk message section. How can I contact him? It's not a matter of a job, so I don't want to post a job or hire him. Any help?
Highlighted
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
2 of 33
Hi Deborah, You can only contact them if you've previously been in contact or you wish to hire them.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Deborah C Member Since: Oct 29, 2012
3 of 33
I understand. Such a pity, I wanted to ask him something about a client that we have in common but I think that is also because of privacy.. I guess?! Thank you then, for your answer.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
4 of 33
Yep, I think it would be open to abuse if people were allowed to randomly contact each other. Maybe he might use the forum sometime.
Highlighted
Anastasia O Member Since: Jun 13, 2016
5 of 33

How do i contact someone who applied for my job ? I have questions to ask him about hiring them but i see now way of doing so??? How do I conduct an interview?! LOL

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
6 of 33

Hi Anastacia, 

When you click on "My Jobs," you'll see the Open Jobs that you have recently posted. Click on the job post that you want to review, and you will be brought to this page. Bring your mouse over to the applicant you wish to review, and the "Send Message/Hire Freelancer" option will pop up on the right-hand side. 

I hope this helps.

Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 8.27.24 AM.jpg

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Anastasia O Member Since: Jun 13, 2016
7 of 33

Thank you for your reply! I actually invited 2 freelancers to apply for my job and when I go to their profile page it says that they already applied for my job, but their name does not show up in my applicants list (so I couldn't message them). I had to contact support and they told me that they in fact did not actually apply that what Upwork REALLY means by that is that I already invited them, which is very confusing (they should fix that), so I have no way of knowing whether they actually saw or reviewed my invite and whether I should wait for them or go ahead and hire one of the existing applicants. Thank you!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Natacha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
8 of 33

@Anastasia O wrote:

Thank you for your reply! I actually invited 2 freelancers to apply for my job and when I go to their profile page it says that they already applied for my job, but their name does not show up in my applicants list (so I couldn't message them). I had to contact support and they told me that they in fact did not actually apply that what Upwork REALLY means by that is that I already invited them, which is very confusing (they should fix that), so I have no way of knowing whether they actually saw or reviewed my invite and whether I should wait for them or go ahead and hire one of the existing applicants. Thank you!

Yes, the wording is wrong, even when you invite it says they applied.

To see everyone you invited check unanswered invites

You will only be able to message them when they accept your invitation.

Highlighted
Andrew W Member Since: Jun 13, 2019
9 of 33
Yes I spent a few hours on this but am lost. Feel like an idiot as usual.
Highlighted
Bill P Member Since: Sep 10, 2015
10 of 33

The upwork user interface makes us all feel stupid.  The single factor in that is the interface, we are all different, so I'm figuring it's not you.  Stuff like a freelancers profile page saying that they had replied to an invite when they had not.  Of, my replying here and having a subject line that was put in by upwork as: "Re: Yep I think it would be open."  I have NO IDEA where that came from because I can't find anything that matches it.  

Not you that's stupid.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS