cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to send a message to a freelancer?

Highlighted
Bill P Member Since: Sep 10, 2015
11 of 33

So what about messaging to people you hired once?  There already is a relationship but I can't find any way to even message them if it's been some time ago.

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
12 of 33

Hi Bill, 

I would like to clarify your question about the Subject line of the post. It is likely that there was a thread that had a similar theme or subject, and was merged by one of the moderators before. When you clicked on reply, the original title of the thread that was merged is shown. I hope that clarifies it for you. 

Regarding your question about looking for a freelancer. You should be able to search for the freelancers you hired in the past by going to your My Freelancers page (Freelancers > My Freelancer), and look for the freelancer. Once you've identified the freelancer, you can go to your Messages page, and use the search box to look for the freelancer. 

Let me know if this is not the case for you, and I'll assist you further.

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Jeff D Member Since: May 30, 2017
13 of 33

I think this site is stupid if you can't ask someone a freaking question.

I mean C'mon seriously? its supposed to be a NETWORKING site, and sometimes you have questions about a job or would like to ask someone about their project. before submitting a proposal

You really need to have a way to allow people to contact each other easier. this is ridiculous 

It shouldnt be called a networking site. 

There are also people who dont have as much exprience as some of the people who have been on here forawhile or people who have had a lot of jobs

so its hard for us when we're new to try to contact people and ask people about the project so we can decide if we want to pursue it or not. 

We should be able to contact the poster to ask some questions about their project

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
14 of 33

@Jeff D wrote:

I think this site is stupid if you can't ask someone a freaking question.

I mean C'mon seriously? its supposed to be a NETWORKING site, and sometimes you have questions about a job or would like to ask someone about their project. before submitting a proposal

You really need to have a way to allow people to contact each other easier. this is ridiculous 

It shouldnt be called a networking site. 

There are also people who dont have as much exprience as some of the people who have been on here forawhile or people who have had a lot of jobs

so its hard for us when we're new to try to contact people and ask people about the project so we can decide if we want to pursue it or not. 

We should be able to contact the poster to ask some questions about their project

I'm not sure where you got the idea that Upwork is a "networking" site. This isn't LinkedIn. It's not a place for freelancers and clients to "network". It's a place for clients to find freelancers to complete a job.

As a client I am 100% against the idea of freelancers being able to contact me about my job posts without actually submitting a proposal. I already get plenty of spam proposals. If freelancers could contact me without expending connects, then I'd be swamped with spam. On top of that, it also opens up the possibility of circumvention.

As a freelancer, you certainly can communicate with a client about their job post - you can spend your connects and submit a proposal and ask your questions as part of your proposal. It is up to you to decide if a job is potentially worth you spending your connects. Alternatively, you can only spend your connects on projects that you don't need to ask questions for in the first place.

Highlighted
Jeff D Member Since: May 30, 2017
15 of 33

I dont think it would be open to abuse. I think it is a necessary way for people to connect about a project and ask questions about the project. I dont like to just submit a proposal without asking questions first. I'd like to network as well. Its ridiculous you can't at least ask some questions to the person who submitted the propsoal

Highlighted
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
16 of 33

@Jeff D wrote:

I dont think it would be open to abuse. I think it is a necessary way for people to connect about a project and ask questions about the project. I dont like to just submit a proposal without asking questions first. I'd like to network as well. Its ridiculous you can't at least ask some questions to the person who submitted the propsoal

Many people have asked for this feature, and yes it would be nice, but Elance tried it once and had to quickly shut it down because of the abuse of the system. People were sending proposals through the right channels, they were sending them through the chat as not not spend their connects. It didn't take long for clients to demand the feature be removed. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Highlighted
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
17 of 33

@Jeff D wrote:

Ask questions in the proposal. 

I do all of the time and I receive a steady stream of responses from the clients. 

I'm also a client on Upwork and I would NOT want a tsunami of FLs spamming me with messages that I'd need to parse through to get to your message. Yes. It would be abused. As Katrina stated, it has been tested before and it was abused. Human nature hasn't changed since Elance died. They'll still try to find different ways to leverage the system in their favor even at the risk of frustrating a client (who will gladly take their business elsewhere). 

Highlighted
Lirim A Member Since: Jul 29, 2018
18 of 33

So I have to hire someone, and then talk to them and see if they can help me?
This makes absolutely no sense. I am looking to hire someone and the only way to talk to them is to hire them. But if I have not talked to them yet, why in the world would I hire them??????

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
19 of 33

Hi Lirim, 

I think you've misunderstood. Clients are unable to communicate with freelancers unless freelancers apply to a client's job post, or the freelancer was invited to apply to the job, and the freelancer obliged. On this interview stage, you should be able to discuss the project details with the freelancers, and vet which freelancer will be best for your project. 

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
20 of 33

@lirim A wrote:

So I have to hire someone, and then talk to them and see if they can help me?
This makes absolutely no sense. I am looking to hire someone and the only way to talk to them is to hire them. But if I have not talked to them yet, why in the world would I hire them??????

Write a description of what you need while being as much comprehensive as you can.

Then:  

- post a public job with the said description

or

- post an invite-only job, selecting specific freelancers

or 

- post a public job and invite specific freelancers

People will apply for the job and/or answer your invite. You will be able to open a message channel with any of them.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS